Answered

A Pair of Sonos 5s in vertical Stero or place Horizontally - Suggestions

• 24 November 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

I just adding a couple of Sonos 5s to my collection.  A couple of questions;

1. Do the 5s have to be vertical to work in a stereo pair mode or can they also work horizontally?
  2. Pro's and cons for vertical/horizontal.

Since I also have ARC, 2 ONE SLs & Gen 3 Sub I guess I also have the option to use the 5s as surround rears but I think in my room that might be a little too much.

Appreciate your feedback,

Regards,

Ivan

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 24 November 2020, 03:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Yes. the Sonos Five speakers do work horizontally, as well as vertically as a stereo pair. The support documentation says this:

———

Speaker orientation guidelines

You can place a Sonos Five, Play:5 (gen2) or Play:3 in either a horizontal or vertical orientation.

A horizontal speaker will output stereo audio over a wide soundstage while a vertical speaker will output mono audio/single audio channel. When placing a single speaker, we recommend using a horizontal orientation. 

When either horizontal or vertical, make sure all four rubber feet are sitting completely on the flat surface. 

———

I will just add to the above with this slight clarification…

A single vertical speaker will not play in stereo (it’s mono audio only), whereas a single horizontal will have a left/right channel. Two speakers paired in stereo will play in stereo regardless of orientation.

If using the Fives as a stereo pair, then orient vertically with tweeters on the inside for a sharper stereo image, or put the tweeters on the outside for a slightly wider, but possibly more diffuse soundstage.

Hope that helps.

Userlevel 1

Thanks Ken for the concise answer.  The second 5 arrives in a few hours so I will give all your suggestions a go!

Cheers,

Ivan

Badge +3

Ivan, what orientation did you settle on, vertical pair or horizontal pair?

Userlevel 1

I went vertical with the Sonos controls each facing the inner side.  After a proper Trueplay using an iPhone 6 I had laying around, the soundscape is quite impressive.  Also note I did set the two Fives as a Stereo Pair.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

I went vertical with the Sonos controls each facing the inner side.  After a proper Trueplay using an iPhone 6 I had laying around, the soundscape is quite impressive.  Also note I did set the two Fives as a Stereo Pair.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Me too, that’s how I like them.👍

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Definitely vertical,with tweeters on inside.This is a killer set up!….I,myself and a pal have it and we are in disbelief as to how good these work.

Good luck