5.2 Update lost all Sonos players and settings

• 24 January 2015
  • 12 replies

Everything was fine, prompted on my Mac to update the Sonos app, didn't realise it was going to update (or trash) everything.  Allowed the update to happen, it seemed to go OK, until we then tried to connect to the system with our phones.  All connections had gone, couldn't even see the Sonos network, even though it was playing music at the time.

Had to reset everything and start again, even down to reconnecting music services and all favourites.  Very inconvenient, not happy!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Andy,

Did you factory reset your Sonos system? If so it's normal you will lose all your saved data within your system.
Before we can start troubleshooting I would like to have a better idea about your system. Can you submit a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number?
Here is a FAQ showing you how to submit a system diagnostic
Thanks, I submitted a diagnostic report
Your confirmation number is: 4324403.

I installed the update on my Mac.  After that, I couldn't connect to my Sonos system at all, Mac, iPhones, nothing.  At that point, I had to factory reset all three players and the bridge.  The software update on my Mac triggered all the loss of connectivity and it shouldn't have done!If you knew the software update was going to cause all this, then I should have been warned ahead of installing the update, I probably wouldn't have bothered, it was working fine.

Thanks.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I installed the update on my Mac.  After that, I couldn't connect to my Sonos system at all, Mac, iPhones, nothing.  At that point, I had to factory reset all three players and the bridge.  The software update on my Mac triggered all the loss of connectivity and it shouldn't have done!If you knew the software update was going to cause all this, then I should have been warned ahead of installing the update, I probably wouldn't have bothered, it was working fine.

Thanks.

I have reviewed your diagnostic and see your system is experiencing some wireless interference. Can you follow the step below?
If you have set the wireless channel on your Router we need to get a diagnostic per channel option in Sonos.It is important to keep the router and Sonos channels apart, so if Sonos is at 1, the router should be at 6 or 11. And if Sonos is at 11 the Router should be at 1 or 6.

For each channel, please wait 5 minutes and then submit a diagnostic of your Sonos system and then reply to this thread with the three different diagnostic numbers.Here is a link showing you how to submit a system diagnostic

To change to the wireless channel go to: If you are using the Sonos CONTROL, please follow the steps below:

• Press the Music button to go the Music Menu.
  • Select System Settings -> Advanced Settings.
  • Select Wireless Channel to change channels.
If you are using the Sonos Controller for PC or MAC, please follow the steps below:

• Select File -> Preferences  (Sonos -> Preferences on the Macintosh).
  • Go to the Advanced tab
  • Select Wireless Channel to change channels.

Thanks.

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

When I looked, the router was using Channel 6 and I then saw the Sonos Bridge was also using the same Channel 6.  I've moved the Sonos Bridge to Channel 11 and submitted a diagnostic, ref no 4336155.

Whilst this should improve connectivity and reduce interference, does it offer any explanation why the software controller upgrade corrupted the setup?

If you need me to reconfigure on different channels, please let me know.

Thanks,

Andy
This happened to me as well.  Still have not gotten my system back.  I have IMac w OSX 10.7.5.  Sonos 5.2 installed and components would no longer attach.  Any word?
This happened to me as well.  
After the software update, I lost connectivity to the system. With no official solution available, I reset everything and had to start again. Once I'd got it back up and running (it's still fine today), I thought I'd post here to see if others had had the same experience and also to see what Sonos support thought. As you can see, they're still working through it although, to be honest, after the system has been reset and reconfigured, they're not going to get anything about the root cause of the software update. That said, they have identified that the Sonos Bridge and my router were setup on the same channel, so separating them onto different channels will improve future performance. Andy
This happened to me as well.  
After the software update, I lost connectivity to the system. With no official solution available, I reset everything and had to start again. Once I'd got it back up and running (it's still fine today), I thought I'd post here to see if others had had the same experience and also to see what Sonos support thought. As you can see, they're still working through it although, to be honest, after the system has been reset and reconfigured, they're not going to get anything about the root cause of the software update. That said, they have identified that the Sonos Bridge and my router were setup on the same channel, so separating them onto different channels will improve future performance. Andy

Thanks.

OK, I think there's something wrong in the Sonos Controller app for Mac.  I opened the software last night to set the grouping.  This morning, the iPhone controller on my phone and my partner's wouldn't even connect to the Sonos system.

I came home from work, my partner was listening to music, but just by pressing the power button on top of one of the units.  I used the Controller app for Mac, it connected and ungrouped the speakers so I could switch one off.  That's all good.  I checked on my iPhone again, this time it connected but only found 2 out of the 3 devices on the network.  The device it didn't find was the one in the living room that I'd just switched off (electronically, not at the power socket).

This technology is almost good, it's a shame, right now it still seems to have teething problems, disappointing.

I've uploaded another diagnostic for you, ref no 4340111.
I updated my speakers of my7 show up. Please advise
Gew,

You've resurrected a thread that is 2 years old, and not explained what your issue is. Can you perhaps give some additional information about your system, and be more specific as to what issue you are experiencing?
I have an iOS Mac system, updated to the latest IOS...and then updated to the latest Sonos...and then I lost the ability to recognize all but one speaker. Even linked speakers are not recognized. Do I have to set up the entire system as if it's new?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have an iOS Mac system, updated to the latest IOS...and then updated to the latest Sonos...and then I lost the ability to recognize all but one speaker. Even linked speakers are not recognized. Do I have to set up the entire system as if it's new?

No

Reboot as follows:-

Switch off your Wi-Fi Router
Switch off ALL your Sonos kit
Switch off ALL devices connected to your Network
- Computers, Laptops, Tablets
- Smartphones, thick phones
- NAS

Switch on Router. Wait until it has re-connected to the internet
Switch on Sonos Bridge and/or Boost, Connect - Wait a minute or two for them to connect
Switch on your Sonos Plays and Playbar
Switch on all your other network devices