Question

2 Plays: 5 or 2 Play Ones with Sub

• 22 January 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

So I’m currently looking for a stereo pair of Sonos for my parents and I’m choosing between either

1. 2 Sonos Play Ones with Sonos Sub (~$1100)
  2. 2 Sonos Play 5s 

I’ve heard that 2 Play 5s would have wider soundstage and better overall sound quality. However, I’ve also heard that the Sub will beat 2 Play 5s. They usually listen to relaxing piano, guitar radio stations, and sometime pop music like The Beatles or ABBA

P.S. Voice assistance on the Ones is a good bonus

Any opinions are much appreciated.

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

So I’m currently looking for a stereo pair of Sonos for my parents and I’m choosing between either

2. 2 Sonos Play 5s 

I’ve heard that 2 Play 5s would have wider soundstage and better overall sound quality. However, I’ve also heard that the Sub will beat 2 Play 5s. They usually listen to relaxing piano, guitar radio stations, and sometime pop music like The Beatles or ABBA

Firstly, and just for education, the Sonos One is not a Play One. The Sonos Play:1 was a different product, that was recently replaced by the Sonos One SL.

Under the current circumstance of Sonos declaring product obsolescent, I would go with the youngest products and that is 1 x Sonos One (Gen 2) and 1 x Sonos One SL with the Sub. You don’t need two voice-assistant capable speakers, so by buying one One SL, you’ll save a few dollars. Having said that, the Sub is not exactly a new product, but it is pretty dumb, so probably will survive longer than the Play:5 (Gen 2).

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

2. 2 Sonos Play 5s 

Firstly, and just for education, the Sonos One is not a Play One. The Sonos Play:1 was a different product, that was recently replaced by the Sonos One SL.

Under the current circumstance of Sonos declaring product obsolescent, I would go with the youngest product,s and that is 1 x Sonos One (Gen 2) and 1 x Sonos One SL with the Sub. You don’t need two voice-assistant capable speakers, so by buying one One SL, you’ll save a few dollars. Having said that, the Sub is not exactly a new product, but it is pretty dumb, so probably will survive longer than the Play:5 (Gen 2).

Yes I do know that. Sorry I misspelled, thank you letting me know!

I just read about the sonos news that they are going to “kill” the 1st play 5, which is the reason why I’m considering a new stereo pair. 
A little problem with the first option. Because I’m going to buy the speakers here at Best Buy and then bring it back to VN, so it’s easier for me to bring back 2 plays 5 than 2 play ones and a sub because the sub is quite big and heavy for checked luggage.