Answered

“Works with Sonos” receiver recommendations

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

For many different reasons, it seems that I will be needing a 3rd party receiver to drive my living room speakers. 

Although I have been eyeing the Sonos Amp for some time, it just doesn’t seem to be the right fit for me.

I will be running a setup with 4 in ceiling speakers. Likely 8 inches with pivoting tweeters from Klipsch, B&W or B&O. Could be Klipsch Reference-series or the B&W CCM683. 

I have a Sonos Sub but it will likely be too small for my living room area so I will likely be getting a 10-12inch 3rd party sub as well. 

That means a 4.1 system (with a phantom center making it 5.1). 

I would like to keep the possibility open for adding two front speakers (floor-standing) to step up to Atmos at some point using two of the in-ceilings for height and the other two as rears.

Any good recommendations for a good 3rd party receiver which “Works with Sonos?

Would also like some input on how well it works - does the receiver switch on, switch input and adjust volume via the Sonos app as expected?

I will of course be getting a Port or second generation Connect to hook up to the receiver. 

icon

Best answer by amun 10 May 2020, 11:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Would also like some input on how well it works - does the receiver switch on, switch input and adjust volume via the Sonos app as expected?

I use an Onkyo 686, which works OK. When I first bought it I tried out the ‘works with Sonos’ bit, but that’s all it does - switches on and selects Sonos. Can’t remember about volume control, but it was probably OK.

TBH, I’m perfectly capable of switching a receiver on when I need it, and it’s set by default to Sonos, so I was very underwhelmed by the whole thing and turned it off. 

It appears that Onkyo, Integra & Pioneer are now distributed by Klipsch in the U.S. Probably explain why you can’t find them in stock. Puts a damper on the ‘Works with Sonos’ feature as these were the only receivers with that. Maybe when Klipsch gets the supply chain figured out, we will start seeing options again.

Anyone have more specific Sonos experiences with receivers that do NOT have ‘Works with Sonos’ function?

Here’s the press release from July of 2020...

https://www.klipsch.com/news/klipsch-and-onkyo-corporation-to-expand-distribution-alliance-to-the-americas

Yamaha home theater receivers don’t have a “works with Sonos” feature, but they have “Scenes”. A Scene stores all of the current listening parameters, such as Input, Surround Mode, Volume, Equalization, etc. One button press will store or fetch a Scene.

I use an Onkyo 686, which works OK. When I first bought it I tried out the ‘works with Sonos’ bit, but that’s all it does - switches on and selects Sonos. Can’t remember about volume control, but it was probably OK.

TBH, I’m perfectly capable of switching a receiver on when I need it, and it’s set by default to Sonos, so I was very underwhelmed by the whole thing and turned it off. 

Thank you for the honest reply. 

Do you use it with a TV as well? I would think that would involve some switching between inputs when going from TV to music from Sonos?

Yes, it’s the main switching point for a number of devices - e.g. Bluray, HD-DVD, CDR, Xbox etc. So yes, when you want to use the other sources you have to switch sources - it’s just one button ;-)

Also, we actually mainly start our music by Alexa but I could of course also get a receiver that supports Alexa. Does the 686 have Alexa suppport?

Just checked the manual and  no, it doesn’t - nor does it’s replacement, the 696

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello,

I would like to update the conversation from this thread, which is over two years old. I bought a house with a built-in 5.1 Bose speaker system. They left me an old Onkyo Receiver that doesn't power on, probably fried. So I am on the hunt for an AV receiver that will interact with my Multi-Room Sonos system (5 rooms already). I also have 2 outdoor speakers that are wired to the same spot near the Receiver, but I don't think relying on Zone 2 is a good idea for it, I'll probably get an Amp or whatever I can find second hand, so I can control them from outside without fiddling with the Receiver

Obviously, it's important for me that the AV receiver plays nicely with Sonos. I see the new Onkyo receivers have a native integration (https://www.onkyousa.com/sonos-onkyo/), but it still requires a Sonos Port/Connect, so I am not sure it's even worth it (they are pricey).

@jec6613: not sure you will see this, but I would love your opinion if there are new models I should look at.

@radyohead  Any 3rd party receiver you use is going to require a Sonos Port/Connect in order to send audio from Sonos in to the receiver.  The are other Sonos devices with line in, but the Port/Connect is the only device with line out.  There isn’t any 3rd party device that natively receives Sonos audio.

If you want to use Sonos to power your Bose speakers without a 3rd party receiver, you would need two Sonos amps, one for front left/right and one for rear left/right.  You would have a phantom center channel.

Actually just looked into the 696 and Alexa was added with a subsequent firmware-update. Looks ike a great allrounder so definitely at the top of my list. Thank you for heading me in that direction!

That’s great - the original manual said nothing of this, but they do have the odd update :-)

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Do you use it with a TV as well? I would think that would involve some switching between inputs when going from TV to music from Sonos?

Also, we actually mainly start our music by Alexa but I could of course also get a receiver that supports Alexa. Does the 686 have Alexa suppport?

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Yamaha home theater receivers don’t have a “works with Sonos” feature, but they have “Scenes”. A Scene stores all of the current listening parameters, such as Input, Surround Mode, Volume, Equalization, etc. One button press will store or fetch a Scene.

Interesting. Any other upside to go with Yamaha?

I saw a recent update (2020) of the Pioneers and Onkyos now also gives full volume contro via Sonos so seems like a complete integration now as that was the only real complaint on the implementation. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Yes, it’s the main switching point for a number of devices - e.g. Bluray, HD-DVD, CDR, Xbox etc. So yes, when you want to use the other sources you have to switch sources - it’s just one button ;-)

Just checked the manual and  no, it doesn’t - nor does it’s replacement, the 696

Actually just looked into the 696 and Alexa was added with a subsequent firmware-update. Looks like a great allrounder so definitely at the top of my list. Thank you for heading me in that direction!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@melvimbe yes, but I would lose the 5.1 surround dimension if I go that way, isn't it?

I think I am ok purchasing a new AV receiver, I just want to make sure that I pick one that will let me switch the input and control the volume from the Sonos app (I would like to avoid having to manually switch inputs on the Receiver first before I can listen to Sonos content). Likewise, that's why I don't think I will use Zone 2 on the receiver to control the outside speakers.

Seem like only the Onkyo and Pioneer "works with sonos” receiver models can do that, isn’t it?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Actually the question might be which one isn't out of stock right now… looks like there is a shortage and they aren't available anywhere at the moment.

Did you check out Denon receivers? I have the same use case as you. I control my tv and music via voice assistant. Denon was recommended but I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Probably going to buy a denon and several Sonos ports to control whole home audio. I really want to make sure all inputs automatically switch both directions between video and audio.