Question

Wiring new home and purchasing SONOS gear

• 1 December 2019
  • 3 replies

Short version is I’m wiring my home to have 7.1 home theater including 4 ceiling speakers with one Sonos Port

4 additional SONOS zones via Sonos amps, 2 speakers in master bed, 2 in master bath, 2 in kitchen, and 4 on back porch.

My question is this, I intend to have a TV on back porch with Sonos Beam. If I want to watch a football game on said TV/Beam would the porch zone sync with it if grouped together? Not looking for surround, just stereo where the sound matches the picture from the beam and 4 ceiling speakers.

Trying to purchase lots of stuff while on sale this weekend.

Thanks guys!

Jeff

3 replies

Hi. Let's start with your first paragraph. The Port only does stereo and is designed for audio sources only,  not AV. So I am struggling to see how that is going to fit in with a 7.1 system.  Can you provide any clarification?

Hi. Let's start with your first paragraph. The Port only does stereo and is designed for audio sources only,  not AV. So I am struggling to see how that is going to fit in with a 7.1 system.  Can you provide any clarification?

Correct, the port will just allow my 7.1 to talk to the Sonos stuff when I want to use the home theater stuff for music. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have a beam and can add the rest of my speakers to the beam’s tv sound group whenever I want to.

So the answer to your question is yes, you can have the speakers (connected via amp) output the same sound as your beam while it is playing TV sound.

Sometimes it sounds a little strange through the grouped speakers, though - muted/blocky sound.  I have noticed this when I play the sound in the next room grouped with my beam (listening to a football game while in the kitchen, for example).  I can’t say there is a “delay”, but the sound quality is definitely not as good as when you are streaming music to all of them at the same time.