Question

Wireless surrounds

• 2 December 2019
  • 3 replies

Just bought a Denon AVR-S950H - I have DefTech ProCinema 600 speakers. I want to replace the rears with wireless (not for music). Can I do this with Sonos speakers? If I could retain my DefTechs for the front, center and sub, that would be great. I’d be willing to go all in with Sonos (Playbar, sub, etc) but ONLY if I could use my new receiver to send the signal. Any help appreciated. Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

In short, no.  Sonos surround sound systems cannot be used in conjunction with a 3rd party receiver. 

Just bought a Denon AVR-S950H - I have DefTech ProCinema 600 speakers. I want to replace the rears with wireless (not for music). Can I do this with Sonos speakers? If I could retain my DefTechs for the front, center and sub, that would be great. I’d be willing to go all in with Sonos (Playbar, sub, etc) but ONLY if I could use my new receiver to send the signal. Any help appreciated. Thanks

If you have a playbar, there is no need for your AVR.  The playbar would get the audio signal directly from the TV.    Technically, you could get the signal from the AVR, if it has optical output or add an HTML extractor between the AVR and playbar, but there tyically isn’t any value in doing so.  You wouldn’t be able to combine speakers wired to your AVR and Sonos speakers in any logical way for a home theatre setup.

Well, returned my AVR and bought a Playbar and Sonos Sub, and a pair of Play:1’s - Pretty happy so far. It will be weird not having a receiver after decades of having one. The Play:1’s were on sale at Costco for $229 for a pair.