Question

Wired Home Setup

Badge

I recently purchased a new home that has been pre-wired for speakers but no speakers installed. Here’s the configuration for the pre-wiring:

Family Room: Center, Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right

Bedroom: Speaker 1, Speaker 2

Patio: Speaker 1, Speaker 2

I currently have the Playbar, Sub, and two Ones. Knowing this what would I need to purchase from Sonos in order to optimize the use of the pre-wired setup along with my current Sonos ecosystem? In order to use the pre-wiring it looks like I would need a few Amps and built-in speakers, but open to any and all ideas.

Thanks! 

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @bpcollins3.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thank you for sharing your concern.

I would highly recommend getting in touch with our Sales Team. They may have the best idea for you regarding what to pick, what to take advantage of, and what’s on sale.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns.

Thanks,

From a community perspective, here’s some input:

For the bedroom and patio, a Sonos Amp for each room could drive those speakers in stereo for you. 

The family room presents a problem. Sonos doesn’t provide a solution that can power a center speaker. The Sonos Amp can be set up to drive the front right and left speakers, which creates a ‘phantom’ center speaker. You could then use a second Sonos Amp in that room to power your surround speakers.

If it were me, I’d be liable to just use Sonos Amps for each pair of wall speakers for music purposes, and continue to use the PLAYBAR, Sub, and PLAY:1s as a true 5.1 home theater system. And I’d be tempted to actually replace the PLAYBAR with a Sonos Arc, which is something I have actually done. I think it’s a better speaker than the PLAYBAR is. Which is saying a lot :)