Will there ever be SONOS tower speakers ?

• 18 January 2022
  • 7 replies

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I think that’s highly unlikely.  Hard to imagine there is much market for tower speakers that isn’t already covered by a pair of Fives and Sub. If you meant passive speakers, Sonos doesn’t make those.

I do mean active speakers. When there is a lack of a near table or wall to put or mount a Sonos speaker. I would think that tower speakers would be a great addition to the Sonos line. With two mid-bass drivers that could deliver a very nice low-end frequency bass.

Userlevel 7

I don’t believe tower speakers would fit the Sonos brand of low profile, blend-into-your-room speakers. Because of the low profile design of Sonos products, I consider Sonos to be “wife-friendly”. Tower speakers are not “wife-friendly”.

I do mean active speakers. When there is a lack of a near table or wall to put or mount a Sonos speaker. I would think that tower speakers would be a great addition to the Sonos line. With two mid-bass drivers that could deliver a very nice low-end frequency bass.

That’s why there are speaker stands, and a sub to cover the low-end.  I can’t say Sonos won’t do this, but there isn’t anything your looking for that Sonos isn’t providing, other than a different form factor.

In the HiFi world, tower speakers tend to be just expensive furniture at best. In many cases, the larger cabinets deliver bloated bass that cannot be eliminated by placement changes of just the culprit drivers as can be done in the case of a Sub bonded or connected to stand mounted speakers - be they active or passive - for more accurate bass delivery.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

A Sonos Amp can be a good option for efficient tower speakers.

If you are looking at inefficient ones a Sonos Port and a large external amplifier may be the ticket.

Speaker cable is no more problem to run than power cable, actually a lot less if you go for the high end “invisible” stuff.

I’ve had several different floor standing speakers over the years and I found several of them to have outstanding sound. A couple I do regret buying, lesson learned - never go by reviews if there is any chance of listening instead.

Thanks for your responses guys. I appreciate ! :blush: