Answered

Will the new Sonos "Port" work with my two existing Sonos 5's.

• 3 December 2019
  • 3 replies

I am currently using two Sonos 5’s to send music to two different rooms of my house, and they work great. I have a Parasound Halo amplifier, two channel audio only system which I would like to include in the Sonos play system.  Would the new Sonos Port work to add my Parasound system to the two existing Sonos 5’s to play the same music on all three devices at the same time. I was going to try the Sonos “Connect” for the Parasound Halo system, but so many people said,” the delay would sound bad.”  My question, “would the Sonos Port be any different?”  I want to play the same music to the two existing Sonos 5’s and my Parasound system at the same time.   I know using only one device  at a time would work, but I want to have the same music to all three rooms.  Hopefully my question is clear.. 

icon

Best answer by jgatie 3 December 2019, 19:27

I am currently using two Sonos 5’s to send music to two different rooms of my house, and they work great. I have a Parasound Halo amplifier, two channel audio only system which I would like to include in the Sonos play system.  Would the new Sonos Port work to add my Parasound system to the two existing Sonos 5’s to play the same music on all three devices at the same time. I was going to try the Sonos “Connect” for the Parasound Halo system, but so many people said,” the delay would sound bad.”  My question, “would the Sonos Port be any different?”  I want to play the same music to the two existing Sonos 5’s and my Parasound system at the same time.   I know using only one device  at a time would work, but I want to have the same music to all three rooms.  Hopefully my question is clear.. 

When playing Sonos sources, the output on the Port would be in exact sync with the output on the Play:5s.  There would not be any delay, unless the Parasound adds extra processing (usually a 2 channel setup won’t add any delay).  If you were to somehow pipe another source to the Line-In on the Port while playing it on the Parasound, the Play:5s would be delayed about 75ms due to the need to buffer the stream.  If this is what you wish to do, you can always connect one analog source, say a turntable, to the Line-In on the Port.  That source can then be played through both and in sync.  

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

All analog inputs would be the same, no matter what device they are on. 

When playing Sonos sources, the output on the Port would be in exact sync with the output on the Play:5s.  There would not be any delay, unless the Parasound adds extra processing (usually a 2 channel setup won’t add any delay).  If you were to somehow pipe another source to the Line-In on the Port while playing it on the Parasound, the Play:5s would be delayed about 75ms due to the need to buffer the stream.  If this is what you wish to do, you can always connect one analog source, say a turntable, to the Line-In on the Port.  That source can then be played through both and in sync.  

Thanks Airgetlam and jgatie.  Hopefully some xmas money will come in and I can order the new Port