Will a boost help if my speakers are on sonosnet and I’m playing records

• 9 January 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge
I’ve connected a record player to a play 5 in one room, when I play the records in other rooms as well it gets a little choppy occasionally, cutting out slightly. My speakers are connected on sonosnet but I was wondering if I get a boost as well will it help?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Are your speakers wired to Ethernet or connection over your home WiFi?
It's more likely that you've got some wifi interference going on, more than anything else. Streaming from a line-in is as intensive a requirement that Sonos has, so any potential drop-outs will have a significant impact on the experience. I'd be taking a good look at the wifi interference FAQ.

In some cases, adding a BOOST for this kind of thing relieves some of the potentials for interference, so it's not a bad idea, but you still need to be somewhat careful, it's not a silver bullet.
Badge
One of my speakers is wired into my router, the rest are on WiFi. I will look into the WiFi interference, thanks for the advice
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you have one speaker connected to router then that speaker is acting as your boost and the rest are on sonosnet (not your home wifi). Check to see what Sonosnet channel you are on compared to your home router channel - make sure they are 5 channels apart.
Badge
Great, I will check that, thanks. So boost has no effect if you are on Sonos net?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It has some interference reducing properties being close to router but really you already have a boost using the speaker in its place.
Great, I will check that, thanks. So boost has no effect if you are on Sonos net?Also perhaps try this..

In the Sonos App, goto Settings/Advanced Settings and then change your 'Audio Compression for the line-in' to 'Compressed' and see if that stops the turntable input to your Play:5 from being 'choppy'.
The SonosNet system is just wifi, so it's also susceptible to interference. It happens to be a mesh system, where each speaker acts as a receiver and sender of the signal. But if any speaker is close to another electrical device, it has potential for interference. As Chris and Ken suggest, being mindful of the amount of interference and the amount of data being transferred is important.
Badge
Thanks for all the replies, changing the sonosnet to 5 channels away from the WiFi seems to have fixed it