Why doesn't Sonos have an optical switch?

• 12 February 2019
  • 9 replies

How do I use Sono's with all my equipment? My TV is wall-mounted, so I can't just run multiple HDMI's there for the optical to be outputted, if it even does 5.1 Dolby Digital.

It just seems logical Sonos would have an official branded switch? Sure we can go to Amazon, but I would imagine most consumers need such a device. That way we can get exactly the right product. Even better with a switch that has a remote for volume/input selection.

Since there is no such product, what do people recommend? I want to be able to hook up varying devices (PS4, Satellite, Bluray, etc).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Why would "most consumers" need an optical switch?? The modern solution is ARC, which the latest Sonos hardware supports.

Lets back up: your TV has a single HDMI cable to it, and that cable I assume comes from a receiver into which all your other devices connect. Solution: run optical from your receiver to the Playbar. Not seeing where a switch is even required based on your description.
That's the thing, I don't have a receiver. I have 2 HDMI cables that run to the TV, but again no optical. It wasn't needed because volume was output to the TV.

It's wall mounted, so my options are to have professionals run an Optical Cable through the walls, and hope my TV outputs to Dolby Digital 5.1.

My thought was, there must be an easier solution? I suppose a non-amp receiver would solve that, as just an HDMI/Optical switch. You ask why would most consumers need that...because they probably don't all have 4+ HDMI cables running to the TV with a return Optical with a Smart TV that can output the highest quality audio. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
So your TV doesn't have an optical output?? Pretty rare, please share the model # so others can avoid this mistake.
Userlevel 7
That's the thing, I don't have a receiver. I have 2 HDMI cables that run to the TV, but again no optical. It wasn't needed because volume was output to the TV.

It's wall mounted, so my options are to have professionals run an Optical Cable through the walls, and hope my TV outputs to Dolby Digital 5.1.

My thought was, there must be an easier solution? I suppose a non-amp receiver would solve that, as just an HDMI/Optical switch. You ask why would most consumers need that...because they probably don't all have 4+ HDMI cables running to the TV with a return Optical with a Smart TV that can output the highest quality audio. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Hi Matrix8086

First let's do a little 101 training. 🙂 If there is no Optical audio output on your TV there is probably some type of Coaxial audio output that can be converted to optical. Also, there is no such thing called a "Return Optical".

Sonos designs speakers...why would they want to make a switch of any kind.:? Using your logic one could argue that Sonos should have a Router since their speakers work over Wi-Fi.

I always recommend where possible using a Full Motion wall mount to make it easier to get behind the set if need be. I run 4 HDMI's not including the power to my wall mounted sets but use tubing to bring all the cables together neatly. See attachment.

Note: I have since placed a decorative object to conceal the tubing.

While your thoughts make sense, you're the first person I've seen asking for an optical switch. Most people who come on here, from what I've seen, have TVs that have optical outputs. There are some that don't, but those are relatively rare, and a lot of those are projector owners. Regardless, for that scenario, the users usually don't have source peripherals that output HDMI and optical. Even if they did, it's more convenient to switch video and audio with one external hdmi switch (with HDMI and optical output) rather than use the TV to switch video input and a separate optical switch for the audio.

It may make sense for Sonos to sell their own HDMI/optical switch, but looking at Amazon, that market is pretty well covered, with lots of different flavors, and probably not much profit margin. As well, it puts Sonos into the video side of things, probably more than they want to be.
Yes with my logic they should...also called a Sonos Boost 😉 They recognized a need, and provided a solution.

I see your setup, but remove that cord and put it in the wall. Now you have my dilemma. I'd have to take down an 80" TV, and fish all those cables through the walls. Obviously wasn't a problem when I had a 7.2 system with about 7 HDMI ports in a home theater receiver.

I just wish they had a box, much like Lifestyle systems, that connects it all as a receiver. I guess I could buy any little box off Amazon that switches HDMI/Optical. Hence why I was asking for recommendations.
Userlevel 7
Hi Matrix8086

This may make you smile ;)

Here's a link to Flexson (a company that specializes in making accessories for Sonos). They are located in the UK but the products shown in the link can be bought in the U.S.A. https://www.flexson.com/accessories/connectivity

Cheers!
Hi Matrix8086

This may make you smile ;)

Here's a link to Flexson (a company that specializes in making accessories for Sonos). They are located in the UK but the products shown in the link can be bought in the U.S.A. https://www.flexson.com/accessories/connectivity

Cheers!

YES you understand the situation exactly! Now the question is, which product? I was looking at their reviews, and a comment on Best Buy said it does not convert DTS to DD 5.1, only stereo. I might be able to dummy down the sound within the players themselves. It also is *very* expensive, at least $199 on B&H.

I'm basically looking for a simple HDMI switch, optical out, that supports 4K, 60FPS, HDR, Dolby Vision, Any audio format to 5.1, has a remote, at a reasonable price. I find it seems every one has some catch...like 1080 only, or no audio conversion/HDR, etc.

It may just be that the solution requires hiring a Pro to wire HDMI/Optical through the walls but now we're looking at $150+.
Userlevel 7
YES you understand the situation exactly! Now the question is, which product? I was looking at their reviews, and a comment on Best Buy said it does not convert DTS to DD 5.1, only stereo.

DTS is a moot point even without a switch. See attachment.