Answered

Which Turntable works with my current setup?

• 7 July 2020
  • 5 replies

Hey there Sonos friends,

I’m looking to buy a Pro-Ject turntable to enhance my setup, but need some advice/questions answered. I currently have the following Sonos speakers:

• (2) Play:1 
  • (1) Playbar
  • (1) Move

When I look at the specs for both the Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB Turntable and the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Sonos Edition Black), both say “Compatible with: Play:5, Amp, Port, Connect, Connect:Amp”. I’m a little gun shy that neither of the turntables will work with my stuff, since the Play:1, Playbar, and Move aren’t explicitly listed there. 

So my questions are:

• Are both turntable options compatible with the Sonos speakers I already have?
  • Do I need to buy an Amp, Port, Connect, and/or Connect:Amp in addition to the turntable in order to integrate it with my existing speaker setup?
  • Any opinions on which turntable might work best for me, given the speakers I have? (I’m inclined to go with the cheaper option but would love to hear thoughts!)
icon

Best answer by lohr500 8 July 2020, 08:52

As to which turntable, I would say with the Sonos speaker set up you have, the lower cost T1 Phono SB turntable would be fine. It has the Ortofon OM5E Cartridge/stylus. The more expensive turntable uses an Ortofon 2M Red. You can google OM5E vs 2M Red to get comparisons.

I have an old Pro-ject Debut with the Ortofon OM5, connected to my Sonos system and I am happy with the result, but I do use Fives for the rears in my Arc based home theatre system.

Both the turntables you suggest have built in pre-amps so will connect to Sonos, but as jgatie has pointed out, not to any of your speakers.

Are you using the latest S2 App or are you still using S1? To save cost, if you have no intention of moving to S2, then you could look to find a used ZP80, ZP90 or early Connect as a low cost way to connect either of your turntable choices to your existing system. ZP80, ZP90 and early Connect won’t support S2 though so you would be then limiting your whole system to S1.

If you are using S2, then again, to save cost, a later Connect would be OK (Date code from mid 2015 onwards if I recall correctly to be sure it will run with S2). I picked up a late Connect for £70 a while ago and it works fine.

If you want to expand your system with an extra speaker, then again as jgatie has said, a Five or Play:5 will allow you to connect the turntable directly. Gen1 Play:5 is not S2 compatible though, so if buying used, bear this in mind.

View original

5 replies

You need a turntable with a phono preamp stage, and a Sonos device with a Line-In (Five, Port, or Amp). Past Sonos devices with a Line-In are the Play:5, Connect, and Connect:Amp.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

As to which turntable, I would say with the Sonos speaker set up you have, the lower cost T1 Phono SB turntable would be fine. It has the Ortofon OM5E Cartridge/stylus. The more expensive turntable uses an Ortofon 2M Red. You can google OM5E vs 2M Red to get comparisons.

I have an old Pro-ject Debut with the Ortofon OM5, connected to my Sonos system and I am happy with the result, but I do use Fives for the rears in my Arc based home theatre system.

Both the turntables you suggest have built in pre-amps so will connect to Sonos, but as jgatie has pointed out, not to any of your speakers.

Are you using the latest S2 App or are you still using S1? To save cost, if you have no intention of moving to S2, then you could look to find a used ZP80, ZP90 or early Connect as a low cost way to connect either of your turntable choices to your existing system. ZP80, ZP90 and early Connect won’t support S2 though so you would be then limiting your whole system to S1.

If you are using S2, then again, to save cost, a later Connect would be OK (Date code from mid 2015 onwards if I recall correctly to be sure it will run with S2). I picked up a late Connect for £70 a while ago and it works fine.

If you want to expand your system with an extra speaker, then again as jgatie has said, a Five or Play:5 will allow you to connect the turntable directly. Gen1 Play:5 is not S2 compatible though, so if buying used, bear this in mind.

Hey lohr500, thanks for the thorough answer and recommendations!

I did go ahead and download the S2 App (trying to to keep my software current at the very least). With my existing Sonos setup and my house being pretty small, I wasn’t planning to add any new speakers anytime soon, so it sounds like my best bet (if I’ve understood you correctly) is to buy a 2015 or later Connect to go along with the T1 Phono turntable. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Lelia,

Glad my explanation helped.

Here’s a link to the question I ask regarding how to tell if a Connect was the latest version :

https://en.community.sonos.com/components-228996/external-differences-between-1st-2nd-gen-connect-6839012

To be safe I went for one with a 2016 date code. The date code is the first 4 digits of the serial number in format yymm. I didn’t want to risk buying an early 2015 model, only to then find it was an older version!!

Thank you! Whoops, meant to best answer your first response (and it looks like there’s no way to change that once you’ve done it, which is a bummer). Oh well. Thanks again for your help!