Answered

which speakers have stereo?

• 2 January 2020
  • 14 replies

I am a bit confused upon researching and deciding what speaker I am looking for.  I am torn between the play 5, the move or 2 sonos 1.  

Does the play 5 have two channels or stereo?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Kumar 2 January 2020, 04:30

Stereo effect is an illusion produced in the brain when the ears feed it different sounds from the left and right side of the head. This needs two speakers placed some distance apart - as much apart as the head is from each speaker.

While the play 5 is stereo, this is largely theoretical because it does not physically achieve, via one box, the above state of affairs. To get a good stereo illusion - or image, using the jargon - you need two speakers, each playing the left or right channel, placed as above.

Based on the above, the answer to your question then - 2 Sonos One, set up via Sonos software to work as a stereo pair.

View original

14 replies

Stereo effect is an illusion produced in the brain when the ears feed it different sounds from the left and right side of the head. This needs two speakers placed some distance apart - as much apart as the head is from each speaker.

While the play 5 is stereo, this is largely theoretical because it does not physically achieve, via one box, the above state of affairs. To get a good stereo illusion - or image, using the jargon - you need two speakers, each playing the left or right channel, placed as above.

Based on the above, the answer to your question then - 2 Sonos One, set up via Sonos software to work as a stereo pair.

Thanks.  I was confused because the way I understood via the sale agent on Sonos the play 5 was stereo.  At least the way I think stereo is.

Should I even worry about it then?  I just want the best audio or very good audio lol

I hope this makes sense.  Thanks for your replies.

In your case, the best thing to do would be to listen to both the play 5 and the Sonos One pair set up as a stereo pair, at home, and decide what you like better. Or, if that isn't feasible, do this comparison in a store, keeping the distance to the speakers what it would be at home.

Okie dokie.  I have listened to a few of the mentioned speakers.  It was at bestbuy so not the best acoustics.  So much open air, noise etc.  

It will be a pain buying and returning as I have no car.  It’s bike, bus or car share :) but I guess I have to do what I have to do.

Thanks for the help and suggestion.

For the best stereo effect the listener, left, and right speakers should approximately form an equilateral triangle. In this context one would need to be within inches of PLAY:5 in order to realize a reasonable stereo effect.

Hmm I sensing this isn’t all that important and perhaps I’m over analyzing.  I have owned a small jbl charge 3 for years now.

Thanks all.

In that case, be sure to also know the difference between the two in terms of what source can be used and what is needed for the units to work. Both 5/One do not do bluetooth, have no battery, and need a stable WiFi environment to work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I’m a bit late to this but I’ve fooled with both mono and stereo setups here.

I really am happy with a Play 5 as a (sorta) stereo speaker out to about 4 or 5 feet. It doesn’t sound “as stereo” as a pair of Play 3s which is what I tested it with.

A single 3, 1 or One sounds a bit flat to me, tried the same with my AVR in mono mode as well as grouped - not paired Sonos and had the same feeling so it isn’t a Sonos issue but a Stereo - Mono issue.

A Pair of (no longer sold by Sonos) Play 3s makes a reasonable alternative to a 5, Play 1 or Ones aren’t bad either but I feel the low end may be slightly weaker.

I have all three of them here and where there is no space and I’m close the Play 5 is my choice. For a larger room where I can get them positioned well the 3s work well, 1s or Ones work too but the low end seems worse to me. Out of the sweet spot the differences are really small.

Ones with a Sub is actually the best way to go unless you need a TV, then the Beam may be a better option for you. You can always move your other speakers to surround positions too.

I can’t speak to the PlayBar or Base for TV use.

Hey thanks for your thoughts.  I live in an apartment :) I would be about 10 feet away max.  I also thought more about things today thought a non smart speaker might suit me better. One with good audio.  It’s a tough decision for myself.  I saw a very good price on the Marshall Stanmore II.  I have not heard it though. And that’s stereo as far as I know.

The Marshall “stereo” effect would be limited by the box size -- as is PLAY:5.

While they are hugely popular, I am not a fan of Bluetooth speakers because a device (phone/pad) must be awake, nearby, and not distracted by another App while playing music. With PLAY:5 or ONE the phone/pad/computer is simply a controller. Once music play is started, the controller can be shut down. For me Airplay 2 (for Apple products) is just a variation on the Bluetooth bin.

What do you mean awake?  My current BT speaker is  a jbl charge 3 and I feed it with different streaming services via my iPhone.  I don’t do anything and it runs all day.

what do you mean by must be awake?

thanks

If you turn OFF the phone or the phone moves out of the BT coverage area, streaming will stop. There is also a certain amount of battery drain while streaming to the BT box.

The SONOS MOVE can use BT. For portable use I approve of BT because it is convenient and requires relatively little power.

@stereomind - your comments about the Marshall speaker make me wonder if you have fully grasped what peopke are saying here. My apologies if I am doing you an injustice there. 

But a single speaker cannot give a good stereo effect because the L and R streams are so close together they might as well be just one stream.

To get the stereo effect the streams have to be sufficiently far apart  That means two speakers. 

I suspect he is using the word stereo in a generic sense to mean a decent sounding speaker.