Which Speakers?

Hi there looking for some help. I would like to have 3no. sonos connect:amps to serve 3 areas in a house (Living Room, Kitchen & External terrace, all roughly 4.5x6m). Can anyone advise how i can calculate quantity and output of speakers i will need? Not looking for anything mega loud its just for background music. So really trying to establish whether i need 1 or 2 speakers to each area?

The speakers in the internal rooms will be recessed into the ceiling, and on the terrace they will be wall mounted.

Thanks for looking.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Each Connect:amp can power pretty well 4 speakers (they need to be 8ohms speakers). If not 8ohms (4 or 6ohm) then you can only hook 2 speakers to a single Connect:Amp (1 right 1 left channel).

Now if you do have 4 or 6 ohm speakers or have to hook say 6 speakers to a single connect:amp you can use an impedence matching switch. I personally would stick with 4 total speakers though from a power standpoint and not having to many areas on one zone.

You may want some switches anyhow to be able to turn on/off (or volume control separately) multiple areas hooked to same Connect:Amp. Example: You have Terrace and dining room hooked to single Connect:Amp (you may want terrace louder than dining room or you may want outside terrace off when listening in dining room).

example switch https://www.amazon.com/SSVC2-Source-Speaker-Selector-Control/dp/B002C99DW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520947320&sr=8-1&keywords=2+zone+switch+audio
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
ok I see your looking at doing nicely with 3 connect:Amps for 3 areas. So you will have full control via app and don't need switch.

So yes your fine 2 or 4 (8 ohm speakers) per zone. If you only had room for a single speaker they do make stereo in ceiling speakers with 2 tweeters (so both left and right wires from Connect:Amp would go to single speaker).

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings