What to use and How to hook up?

• 26 January 2019
  • 1 reply

First, I don't really understand much of the connection process for all this stuff. Open to learn though. I have 2 Sonos play 1s that I have been playing Pandora off my phone. I wish to hook up my Samsung Smart TV, a turntable and CD player so that the Sonos speakers can play all those. Using a Yamaha receiver for turntable and CD player now. What do I use and how do I hook all this stuff up together?.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
First, I don't really understand much of the connection process for all this stuff. Open to learn though. I have 2 Sonos play 1s that I have been playing Pandora off my phone. I wish to hook up my Samsung Smart TV, a turntable and CD player so that the Sonos speakers can play all those. Using a Yamaha receiver for turntable and CD player now. What do I use and how do I hook all this stuff up together?.

Hi Ace Jackson,

Welcome to the community. The best way to get the audio from your turntable and CD player into the Sonos system is to use a Sonos component with a line-in port. The Connect, Connect:Amp and Play:5 speakers all have line-in ports which can accept an audio signal from your turntable or CD player, then send that audio to any Sonos speakers you have. The Connect has audio inputs and outputs to integrate your stereo, and any powered speakers you have. The Connect:Amp has an amplifier built in so it can power third party, unpowered speakers. The Play:5 is a nice solution as it has a speaker built in.

When using the line-in port on a Sonos unit there will be a slight delay in the signal. This is so the Sonos speakers can send that audio across the network to all of your Sonos units. For this reason, the line-in port isn't always a great solution for TV audio as the video will be out of sync. The Sonos home theater products are designed to play TV audio with very low latency so there is no delay in the audio. The Playbar, Playbase, and Beam can all connect to your TV, and play the audio in sync with the video.