Question

What to get to play a turntable through Sonos

• 9 October 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge
Hi all,
I’ve been looking through the Sonos website and some forum posts and I’m still feeling very confused. I have a turntable and I already have a Sonos Beam and a Sonos One. I’m looking to find a way to play the turntable through those speakers.
I believe the turntable has a phono preamp (from a listing for it: “It features a built-in switchable preamp, so it can used with a standard phono preamp or receiver with a phono stage, OR it can plugged straight into any aux or line input.”) Previously I have just been running it into a stereo system with the rca cables. I also don’t see anything “switchable” on it which confuses me as to whether or not I do not to buy a preamp (or if the “switchability” is internal?).
Any help with what products/accessories I would need would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Nick

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Assuming you have a preamp, any of the Sonos devices with aux input will work fine. The Port is the least expensive and willl also allow you to tie in a stereo system with Sonos. You could get the Amp, and be able to power additional passive speakers. The Play:5 is another option, and of course, you get the speaker too.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
To answer your question on the switchable preamp, there is probably a switch under the platter. If you post the model number one of us may have the same model, or you can google for a manual. On both of my turntables, if you take off the record mat (the rubber or cork cushion on top of the platter), there is a semi-rectangular window or hole in the platter. I just have to rotate it until I see the switch.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Badge
Thank you both so much! We’re actually in the middle of a move so I don’t have easy access to my turntable but it’s a Optimus Lab 340.
A question about the port: we also have the beam hooked up to our tv. Will I be able to run the port and the tv into the beam? Where do the outs from the port go to?
Thanks again,
Nick
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
So, googling it I couldn’t find a manual or picture, but one page said it was on the bottom. So try the back, the bottom and under the platter.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
The Port’s (and the Connect / Zp90 /Zp80 before it) primary purpose is to take the Sonos output from streaming or a local source and connect it to an existing stereo or hifi system. The secondary purpose was to bring analog audio, like a CD player or your turntable, and bring it into the Sonos system so it can be played on any Sonos speaker in the home.

One caveat: regardless of what you choose, the turntable will have to be within the same area as the Port, Play 5 or Amp in order for cables to reach. So, the best way to get your turntable audio to play over your Sonos speakers depends on what you already have, what rooms you want audio in, and your budget.

If you already have a stereo or hifi in the same room you want or can put the turntable, the Port is the cheapest and easiest way to do it. You connect the port to your stereo, the turntable to the port, and now the turntable can be played in any room and you can play any Sonos audio stream on that stereo. Or, if you have no other stereo, or no desire to put audio in another room of your home, the Port as mentioned before is the absolute cheapest option. Plug the Port into the wall and add it to the Sonos system in the app , plug the turntable into the port, turn on the preamp, and you’re basically done. You can set the source for the Beam and One to the Line-in on the Port, and you’ll get the turntable playing.

if you don’t have a stereo already, your better bet is probably to get a Play:5 for the room the turntable will be in, and connect the turntable to it. Then you can play the turntable in that room (and on any other Sonos device), plus bring the audio streams from the TV, Spotify, etc to that speaker.

If you have built in speakers in the walls or ceiling in some room, the Amp is the best bet.
Badge
Thanks that’s super helpful! I’m thinking of going no stereo so the turntable would be in the same room as the Beam. So ill have the turntable next to the Port and it’ll play on the Beam and I can also choose to hear it in the other room where the One is. The Port won’t need to physically connect to the Beam so its not an issue that the tv is connected to the Beam. Is that all right?
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
That’s correct
Badge
Great! Thank you again!