Question

What to get for Playing music in my Townhome?

Greetings - Newbie here, OK So I am not really looking for surround sound for TV (Which I think most posts tend to be about). I am fine with TC sound... But my old Denon Receiver does not have Bluetooth and has an old ipod dock that is not working.. and well its time to upgrade. I do have 2 Klipsch Ikon series speakers... but anyway looking for better sound then a $12 portable speaker.

So need to outfit my bedroom (currently have Alexa - 1 tiny speaker) and my kitchen/great room.
So my home has 1 large area for kitchen/dining room/ living room. 17 foot wood ceilings (And a loft upstairs). The living room /kitchen / great room is about 28 feet long by 22 feet wide (616 Square feet( and my master bedroom is about 15 by 16 (Plus a hallway leading to bathroom) so 240 sq feet+.

So what do you recommend to play music off my iPhone or Alexa? Radio etc... Right now I have Amazon music and pandora - but that could change.

So looking to enjoy music in great room and then in my bedroom as well. Again I love my TVS and never worry about the sound quality. I just don't notice.. SO I am not a connoisseur. I thought I would get a HEOS for the living room - but returned it as I could not get it to hook up and customer service was not available.

So what should I get? How many things for the great room? How do I use the bedroom.. ANd what do I do with m y old speakers? And I am guessing my non Bluetooth receiver is a historic piece 🙂

Thoughts?
Thank you all in advance for the stereo challenged, Miss B😎

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi MissBumble

You've got a huge laundry list of what you'd like to do with Sonos ☺️. Not to worry.

Your choices for music only are Sonos Play 1, Sonos One and Play 5. All can be integrated with Alexa. The Sonos One offers Alexa or Google as an onboard assistant (meaning no need for an Amazon or Google proprietary device).

A good fit for a bedroom would be either two Play 1's set in stereo pair or two Sonos Ones' set in stereo pair.

The following is all speculation as it would be beneficial to see a diagram of the floor plan to determine recommended speaker placement and size.

For the Living room you might consider two Play 5's in stereo pair or two Play 1's set in stereo pair with Sonos sub or two Sonos Ones' set in stereo pair with a Sonos sub

For the Kitchen/Dining Room you might consider two Play 1's set in stereo pair or two Sonos Ones' set in stereo pair or the same speakers spaced separately as stand alone individual speakers. In some instances one Play 5 might be thrown in the mix.

I suggest you check out the Sonos speaker comparison chart shown here to get an idea of how Sonos speakers might be used. If possible post a diagram of your floor plan.

Looking forward to your next post. Cheers!
@AjTrek1 Thank you!!! OK here's a few pictures of my home. So one huge room for kitchen, dining and living room, and master bedroom are my main concerns. Just concerned about music.... I never really embraced the whole surround sound thing... so I don't think I want to worry about that.

Hoping the pictures help with your fabulous advice!!! TY

Very nice. That's a somewhat complicated space, but I think @AjTrek1 advice is pretty sound. It's basically one giant room with the focus being on the wall opposite the loft. I think you have 4 options.

1 - Use 2 play:5s for the whole space. You could get them wall mounted, or place one in each corner on the appropriate corner. The corner's are wider than you want and the room is a bit bigger than you want. so maybe have each play in mono? Wall mounting would be better, but you'd need to have an electrician wire plugs in the right spot for you. Using 2 speakers like this would allow trueplay tuning to do it's job.

2 - Place 4 play:1s or Sonos Ones along that same wall. I think this might be harder to find good spots for them, and technically you'd have 2 rooms that you'd keep grouped all the time.

3 - Place a play:1 or Sonos one in each corner of the room. It doesn't look like you good places to put the speakers though and it wouldn't give you the 'sound stage' other options provide.

4 - Put a beam/playbar/playbase with the TV and 2 play:1s or Sonos Ones in the kitchen.

The bedroom is easier. I would put a beam with the TV. I know TV audio isn't a priority, but the sound really should be coming from that wall, and it's probably the best option for music as well as TV here. You can add play:1s on the nightstand for surround sound if you wish.
Userlevel 7
Hi MissBumble

Thanks for sending the pics. Very nice home!!! In addition to what @melvimbe suggested here are my thoughts.

The Play 5 will fill your space for casual listening with good low-end.

The Beam or Playbase (maybe a Playbar) will serve dual purpose_Music and TV audio.

The Beam will also offer Alexa or Google voice assistant. Recommend the sub for better low-end for music and will help with TV dialog.

If you group all together for music you may have to leave the room 😂. Just kidding...but the sound will be awesome!!!

Note: Using a Beam will allow you control the Play 5 via voice and support Air Play2. My recommendation over the Playbar or Playbase. *

If you have or can borrow an iOS device you can use TruePlay in the Sonos App to tune the speakers to your room. You would tune the Beam and sub as a unit and the Play 5 as a stand--a-lone speaker

* PlayBase and Play 5 also support AirPlay 2

Another option vs the Play 5 is to use Sonos One's with Alexa or Google voice assistant (or Play 1's no voice assistant) in stereo pair. The low-end may not be as strong but you'd probably be hard pressed to notice.

I'd still go with the setup shown in the previous picture for the TV area. If using the Sonos One's you could turn off the microphones to avoid having them answer when you address the Beam. If using Play 1's the Beam could control them as well.

The Beam will provide music and enhance TV audio as well as provide Alexa or Google voice assistant.

If you prefer you could place two Sonos Ones (not shown) in stereo pair for music only; but still offer Alexa or Google voice assistant.

TruePlay tuning works here as well.

Let's us know how things sort out! Cheers!
HI Guys - @AjTrek1 and @melvimbe TY both so much!!!! I love the pictures. 🙂 So as I was writing to you I also called for a free local guy to do an estimate.... Maybe that was dumb...

His company installs sound systems and he came to give me a free estimate. And I get it you guys likely think I am nuts... He would get it hooked up for me...

So his take, seeing my home is 1) Beam for my bedroom - no other speaker (Since I currently listen to Just my new TV and my Small Alexa speaker)> So the Beam is a nice upgrade for music and TV,

Living room - he said subwoofer is awesome but is 700 and you don't have to have it.... He recommended the Playbase.... and nothing else. He does not think II wil need the Play5 .. (If I did there's a Baker's rack in the corner of my kitchen where there's a plug I could put it on....

So here's the costs of this little whim:
1) Boost 100
2) Beam 400? (I think?)
3) PlayBase 700

An if I have his company do install it's $100/hour - likely charge me $200 (But maybe I should part ways = and just do it myself... last thing I tired to install was Denon Heos (returned it)

And if I decide I need any One's they are 200 each - but not needed. So to control my music in living room I would use my phone and Sonos app (I have Amazon Music). In bedroom I could just ask Alexa to play something.

Good lord I now need a drink

1) AM i insane to let this company/man who provided estimate to connect it all for me (and make it sound good) and 2) Does the recommendation work? I know you recommended Sub woofer... Ouch expensive....
So thoughts???
Also I will pay no tax if I buy in cash though him ) (httr//onetouchtechnology.com

Thank you so much - I so hope this is worth it... it has to be better than my $10 Polaroid speaker off my iphone,
HI Guys - @AjTrek1 and @melvimbe TY both so much!!!! I love the pictures. 🙂 So as I was writing to you I also called for a free local guy to do an estimate.... Maybe that was dumb...

No, that's not dumb. Nothing wrong with getting someone to set it up for you if you aren't comfortable.

His company installs sound systems and he came to give me a free estimate. And I get it you guys likely think I am nuts... He would get it hooked up for me...

So his take, seeing my home is 1) Beam for my bedroom - no other speaker (Since I currently listen to Just my new TV and my Small Alexa speaker)> So the Beam is a nice upgrade for music and TV,

Yep. You actually move the echo dot downstairs since the Beam already has Alexa. If you use this installer, I'd make sure he sets this up for you and links the playbase to your dot through Alexa groups.

Living room - he said subwoofer is awesome but is 700 and you don't have to have it.... He recommended the Playbase.... and nothing else. He does not think II wil need the Play5 .. (If I did there's a Baker's rack in the corner of my kitchen where there's a plug I could put it on....

That's not bad. The good thing about Sonos is you can add the subwoofer or play:5 later on if you want.

So here's the costs of this little whim:
1) Boost 100
2) Beam 400? (I think?)
3) PlayBase 700

You may not need the Boost. If you can wire either the playbase or Beam to the router directly, the Boost isn't needed. Even then, you can set it up to use your wifi directly, instead of it's own network.

Also, I would have the Beam mounted to the bottom of the TV, so that you don't have any wires showing between TV and and dresser.

An if I have his company do install it's $100/hour - likely charge me $200 (But maybe I should part ways = and just do it myself... last thing I tired to install was Denon Heos (returned it)

It's not that hard, but if you don't feel comfortable and the peace of mind is worth it, then let him do it. If you're going to mount the beam, then it makes a lot of sense to use a Pro, as that's a little more challenging.

Did you mount your TV or have someone do it for you?

And if I decide I need any One's they are 200 each - but not needed. So to control my music in living room I would use my phone and Sonos app (I have Amazon Music). In bedroom I could just ask Alexa to play something.

You can use the Sonos app to control everything, You can use Alexa to control just about everything as well. I use Alexa/Amazon music as well, and I rarely use the Sonos app these days.

Good lord I now need a drink

1) AM i insane to let this company/man who provided estimate to connect it all for me (and make it sound good) and 2) Does the recommendation work? I know you recommended Sub woofer... Ouch expensive....
So thoughts???
Also I will pay no tax if I buy in cash though him ) (httr//onetouchtechnology.com

The no tax thing sounds likes fishy to me. I think some of these service companies just don't record the sale or something. So it's a morality issue, your call. If your not comfortable, ask him why there is no tax.

Thank you so much - I so hope this is worth it... it has to be better than my $10 Polaroid speaker off my iphone,
Userlevel 7
Hi MissBumble

Honestly, if you were cutting holes in walls and/or going inside them for wiring then yes go with a professional. The speakers that @melvimbe and I recommended are basically plug and play.

A Playbase is an option for TV and that is $700 dollars. A Beam and Sub will cost $400 more and you’ve got the best of both worlds for music with good low-end and better dialog for the Beam with Alexa or Google assistant as a bonus.

The Play 5 will fill your open area without having to use the Beam. You could group the Play 5 and Beam when you really want to blow the music.

I agree with using a Beam in the Bedroom; just as I and melvimbe had suggested.

I don’t think you need a Boost given the size of your home; unless you have a very bad router and/or poor wi-fi signal. If so upgrade the router 😉.

Here are some cost options to consider:

Option 1
Beam x 2_$800 (TV and Bedroom
Sub_$700 (TV)
Play 5_$500 (Open area)
Total_$2000 ($600 over installers quote)

Option 2
Total Beam x 2, Play 5 and no Sub_$1,300 ($100 less than Installer)

Option 3
Total with One Beam (bedroom), Playbase (TV), Play 5 (Open area) and no Sub_$1600 ($200 over installers quote)

Options 2 and 3 are the least extravgant and make a great Sonos setup. Of course in the end it depends upon your budget. If you were to run into setup issues the forum is always here to help as are Sonos Tech support. Let us know what you decide.

Cheers!
OK Guys - I am loving this forum (Tou guys) . I hate saying no to anyone - but T\the installer scares me a little. As the no taxes thing - I am very moral... So moral.... I once wanted a diet coke at college, the soda machine was open - and rather than steal a soda, i walked to the student union to buy one. LOL (Pathetic and honest).

Also I told the installer no one on the forum mentioned I needed a Boost so I feel like his info is a little old. So he stated that you absolutely need a boost to hook up to your Cable Box. He did mention mounting the Beam to the bottom of the TV (Hanging on the wall). I also mentioned I love buying from Amazon because I can return easily /... I think that's true of Sonos.. and since this is a Sonos supported forum I can buy from Sonos.

Yes - so @melvimbe you asked how I mounted the TV. Well.. the boyfriend ( Ex) mounted it... sort of. He hit a circuit or something ( No power in bathrom after that fiasco) and alas the electrician came in.... and then I had it wired and mounted.. and the brother in law fixed the electrician's wall patching and then painted. So I see your point - yes I got help. So the only help I need is taking the TV in Bedroom off the wall, and hanging the Beam from it...but maybe I get someone else to do it.. or skip it and put thE bEAM on the dresser? Does it come with the TV Bracket?

OK so is this an option???

One more factoid.. I usually watch TV in bedroom mostly. WIth compaNy - maybe in Living room - but not too often.

So is there another options?
1) Beam in Bedroom 400
2) PlayBase in Living room 700
No installer, pay tax, use Amex...
Buy form Sonos or Amazon
Thoughts?

The thought is the Playbase may be enough for me.... in the great room. I m not listening to Heavy Metal or Rock.. we are talking Marroon 5, Jason Mrqaz, Roberta Flack and The Rat Pack LOL ooh and Take me to Church and Lil Naz... Love that song :)

SO _ You guys must definitely be sick of me by now!!!! Thank you!!
Userlevel 7
Hi

It appears you've made your decision. Great!. Just make sure the Playbase will fit your entertainment stand. It's 28.5 inches wide and 15 inches deep. Height should not be an issue. A one inch overhang to the front is not an issue either.

No, the Beam does not come with a mounting bracket. Personally, I think it would look fine setting on the dresser.

Buying from Sonos gives you 45 days to decide. Return shipping is free.

Amazon I don't think is that liberal. Just be sure to keep the boxes in good condition. Also, Amazon has a habit of shipping large items in the original box rather than over boxing them. I think you can give them special instructions on packaging for some items.

Cheers!
Hey guys...so going to pull the trigger on a Beam for the bedroom (I think I'll have a Peleton bike in there as well if I get up the gumption to buy it) and think it I'll help create great sound for rides.

Ill likly get get the stuff for the rest of the home another time.. start slowly and build.

Thak you for advice. I am sure I'll have questions when it arrives.

Oh oh and no technician ..just me...

quick question.. I am guessing I should not buy the 3 year 33.99/ protection that Amazon sells?...

thank you!,,
sue
Hey guys...so going to pull the trigger on a Beam for the bedroom

quick question.. I am guessing I should not buy the 3 year 33.99/ protection that Amazon sells?...
thank you!,,
sue
OK, since you asked twice.....

I generally stay away from these "protection" programs. The great majority of the electronics I purchase will either fail immediately (i.e. within the normal warranty), or never (long enough that I'm already thinking about replacing it). That being said, in over 10 years of owning Sonos equipment, I've only had one device go bad, the first PLAY:5 (gen 1) I purchased. And none of the other devices, including PLAY:3s that were purchased within a month of the PLAY:5.

But if it makes you feel more comfortable, go ahead.
Thanks guys!!!
OK so far Sonos beam set up in bedroom - and it sounds great - might need 1-2 Sonos ones since I am putting a Peleton bike in bedroom too... For that extra oomph and I can always repurpose them... and of course now i need something(s) in my other great room. This is really addicting. I should just get it over with and get them all as you guys suggested. And of course I use Amazon music - but now may need t rethink that.. I a listening to popular music usually (Not stuff that is too eclectic... so not sure best streaming service for music. But we shall see...

Just wanted to say I check this post often to pull the trigger on what I will buy next - Amazon makes it too easy to return. So figure I will likely buy something for living room next... More concerned with Music than TV BUT now that I have heard TV thorough the Beam I can't go back..

and since I asked twice....

no protection plan 🙂 Thank you @Airgetlam
At the risk of being excommunicated (or voted off the island) I have yet another question... or two..

@AjTrek1 @Airgetlam You guys rock - so thank you very very much!!!! and hope I am not imposing too much...

OK So here I am ready to go with Beam, Sub and Play 5 - But no outlet above the cabinets.... So do we go with Ones..or move the Play5 to windowsill (Nah because you would see the chord.) Putting it ion the Baker's Rack int he corner may work ( the lower the better since the outlet i snear the floor there) - but not optimal. Putting ones on counter (Lots of outlets - but afraid of dirt/water???? Maybe put Play 5 on floor near the tall bar and Kitty scratch post area? OY.. such choices?

And bedroom Sonos & TV looking pretty good - But it was a very tight fit to snake wires originally behind my TV - so hoping next time i have electrician out hell be able to put that wire through wall - or I live with it (But seems a shame since I hung the tv)...There's not much room behind the wall - concrete blocks etc... ) Going to put Peleton bike there on the mat - but its light enough I can move to living room if thatt works out better..)

If you’re going to have an electrician out, have them install electrical outlets above the cabinets. Not the cheapest option, but it’s what I did in my last home to get speakers in the kitchen and out of “sight”
The sgaag continues. .. Electrician on his way to:
1) hide the wire inthe bedroom - snake i through the hole he built earlier int he wall.
2) Having him build one outlit for the Play 5 above cabinets in kitchen

Thinkng of leaving it there- 1 Play5 and 1 Beam (In bedroom ). I do nto watch a ton in the living room and really just want to enjoy the music. MY TV is not on the wall so If I add a Beam and Sub - it wont need any holes/outlets as they are already there I think .. Am I forgetting anything?

OK here's the QUESTION:
I guess the only thing I am I forgetting if I do get two One's for the Play5 in the living room area then I may need more outlets or put the 2 One's near outlets..

So what do you think of Play 5 in kitchen and 2 ones somewhere else to provide stereo for music only?

Does the Play 5 with two ones in living room work to provide stereo ?

Thanks