What to get for home cinema and listening to music

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies
Hi,
I was recently bluffed by the Phantom from Devialet but after a little research I guess Sonos can do as good or close to for less money...
Our TV corner is about 20 SQM and the living room (same room, where we will be listening to music) 40 SQM. I'd love stereo effects and surround for home cinema.
Which set up would you recommend taking into account that I think the Playbar or the playbasbe belong to the past since connectivity isn't that great.

The speakers for surround will be placed 4-5 meters away from the sofa, further than the tv and a beam (?) which are 2-3 meters away. Would that be ok ?
Do surround speakers switch to normal speakers for listening to music ?

My tv is equipped with HDMI ARC

Thank you for your advice
Jonathan

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi davjo

I have both Playbars and Beam installed on different TV's. Here's why:

To obtain the BEST FRONT sound stage (L/C/R) in my main viewing area (Media Room) I have a Playbar, Sub and Play 3's x 2 as surrounds. I'd do this regardless of room size. I might also add that the TV in this room is a 2018 LG:C8 with HDMI_ARC. Note: Play 3's are no longer sold. Play 1's and Sonos One's do an excellent job as surrounds and also as full-on music speakers.

I have a Beam in stalled using HDMI-ARC in an open area_Great Room/Kitchen_with Sub, and Sonos One's x 2 (which is larger than the space above). This is not my main viewing area but I wanted to try the Beam. Using the Beam the Front sound stage (L/C/R) is not as expansive as with the Playbar. The Sonos One's as surrounds were overkill as the Alexa voice assistant is disabled when used with the Beam which has Alexa voice. Therefore, Play 1's x 2 would work just as well. I only used the Sonos One's as I already had them. Note: If connecting the Beam via optical you cannot command your TV via Alexa.

I recommend using a Sub with the Beam even if you don't get the surrounds right away. I've found that the Beam becomes more anchored with the sub to handle the low end and voices are clearer (especially in an open area).

Why would you not place the surrounds (Play 1's with Beam or Sonos One's with Playbar/Playbase) on stands in the same spot where your current speakers appear to be on either side of the sofa?

If you plan to place them further away 4-5 meters you might want to consider Play 5's as surrounds. Play 5's IMO are only necessary in the most EXTREME surround placement scenarios.

In the Sonos app you can set the surrounds to play as FULL for music. They will automatically switch between surround mode and music mode depending upon the signal.

If you have (or can borrow) an iOS device...use TruePlay to tune the speakers to the environment.

I hope this helps. Please let us know your final decision.

Cheers!
One other option is to use a Sonos Amp and passive speakers for the front. I have a pair of very good floorstanders and for music this blows the Beam and Playbar out of the water - but at a significanyly greater cost. In my case, this allowed me to do away with the Playbar I was using for TV and the hifi amplification I was using for music.

This set up won't be for everyone but I am very happy so far.
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
John B wrote:

One other option is to use a Sonos Amp and passive speakers for the front. I have a pair of very good floorstanders and for music this blows the Beam and Playbar out of the water - but at a significanyly greater cost. In my case, this allowed me to do away with the Playbar I was using for TV and the hifi amplification I was using for music.

This set up won't be for everyone but I am very happy so far.

Actually, John B the cost factor for a Sonos Amp and Play 1's x 2 for srrounds may be negligible if davjo already has passive speakers for the front and a sub. As you said music playback would be a non-issue. The only caveat would be if davjo didn't preferred the phantom center channel created using his passive speakers with the Sonos Amp vs the actual center channel with a Playbar or Beam.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings