What to choose for HIFI music sound

• 20 August 2018
  • 4 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies
I am the happy owner of a Play:1, that I have in a bathroom. Now I know how good Sonos sound, I want to get a HIFI sound in my living room (4x5 meters).

I used to listen soul, R&B, classical (Opera specially) and sometimes pop-rock. I listen to music in low volumes.

I have ordered a pair of Play:1, a pair of Play:3 and a Sub to do some test but, I can´t take a decision. I tried following configurations:

* 1 Play5
* 2 Play3
* 2 Play1+Sub
* 2 Play3+Sub

First of all, I tried the Play5. IMPO, it only sounds really good at medium-high volume. This is too loud for me and my neighbours...

(I didn´t try the Play 5 + Sub)

After that I try the pair of Play3+Sub and the sound was marbelous. Then, I chaged the Sub to be with the Play1 pair and compared the Play3s vs the Play1s+Sub. For me, there is differences but I can´t really said what is the best option.

It is difficult to compare the Play3+Sub vs Play1+Sub, because I have to configurate the sistem again if I change the Sub from one group to another so is difficult to do the conparation if you can´t switch between both confirurations while listening a song.

Has anyone done this test?

On the other hand, 2Play:1+Playbase or 2Play:1+Beam maybe could give a goog HIFI sound also and have the possibility upgrade sound of my TV.

Is it wort to order a Playbase or Beam to do the test? (the space at home is running out...:D)

Thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Is it worth it? Sure. The choice is really subjective, so if you have the desire to test it out and want to leverage the return policy, go for it.

Some people don't feel like soundbars improve the quality of music, only good for TV. The reason being that you don't get the stereo separation up front, and don't care for getting stereo from the front and the back. I actually like it a lot, and have that setup in 3 different room, with a sub and without. If it were me, I'd probably try out the beam first. Since you aren't wanting to go too loud, and already have the sub, I think it will feel like it's enough. Plus you'll get voice control if that interests you.

But again, it's subjective, no wrong answer really.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A single Play 5 sounds pretty decent to me particularly at close range (a Meter) and low volume levels but stereo separation isn't that great. A pair sounds great at longer distances and higher volume levels.

A single Play 1 or 3 really sounds boring as the sound is mono, a pair of either is far better in that respect. I fooled with comparing the Play 1 and 3 and without the Sub the paired 3s do sound better to me. Again at lower levels and close ranges, I rarely listen at louder levels to compare that and don't feel like I need a sub for my listening.

The 3 may be in the process of being discontinued but if you already have a pair that isn't a problem, just don't think you could return them and replace them later.

Since you have the Sub already the 1s may well be all you need, I'd give them both a listen without the sub connected and pay attention only to the higher frequencies to see if you can tell a difference and go with what sounds best to you.
Is it worth it? Sure. The choice is really subjective, so if you have the desire to test it out and want to leverage the return policy, go for it.

Some people don't feel like soundbars improve the quality of music, only good for TV. The reason being that you don't get the stereo separation up front, and don't care for getting stereo from the front and the back. I actually like it a lot, and have that setup in 3 different room, with a sub and without. If it were me, I'd probably try out the beam first. Since you aren't wanting to go too loud, and already have the sub, I think it will feel like it's enough. Plus you'll get voice control if that interests you.

But again, it's subjective, no wrong answer really.

Thank you for the answers.

Just to clarify, the Sub I have at home is also in a "test time", so, if I finally decide not to keep it, I will return it.

I think I am going to ask the BEAM and try it with and without SUB. But the combo Beam+Sub is much more expensive than very higher than 2Play:3s. In any case, I don´t know if the stereo feeling will be good for me. But I try anycase.

Thank you.
A single Play 5 sounds pretty decent to me particularly at close range (a Meter) and low volume levels but stereo separation isn't that great. A pair sounds great at longer distances and higher volume levels.

A single Play 1 or 3 really sounds boring as the sound is mono, a pair of either is far better in that respect. I fooled with comparing the Play 1 and 3 and without the Sub the paired 3s do sound better to me. Again at lower levels and close ranges, I rarely listen at louder levels to compare that and don't feel like I need a sub for my listening.

The 3 may be in the process of being discontinued but if you already have a pair that isn't a problem, just don't think you could return them and replace them later.

Since you have the Sub already the 1s may well be all you need, I'd give them both a listen without the sub connected and pay attention only to the higher frequencies to see if you can tell a difference and go with what sounds best to you.

Thak you for your answer,

The Play 5 (only one) was the first speaker I tried and compared with one Play 3, before receiving the Sub. I thought it ned to rise up the volume to feel the bass, comparing it with one play3. I did the test at medium volume and the Play 5 sound beat the Play 3. So, I decided to package again the Play 5. The is that I am searching a goog stereo image and goog bass response and I thing only one Play 5 wont do it and two Play 5 are two big and expensive...

Any case, I surely try the Play 5 again.