What speakers for small-medium office?

• 8 April 2019
  • 2 replies

Hi I have 2 areas of questions.

Using the Sonos app with multiple users
1. Would you recommend Sonos for an office of 10-14 people?
2. Does the app work fine with multiple users able to queue songs/albums after each other?
3. Does everyone use their own spotify/google play account or can you share each others or use a joint account?

What speakers?
This is our floor plan:

I'm thinking of
A. 1x play 5 and 2x play 1's
B. 3/4x play 1's and a sub
C. Something else?

(Would likely put a play 5 or sub near the printer (wired in for better connection) and have the play one's on the opposite wall)

I'm quite sold on the play 5 after hearing it in store next to a play 1. It was waaay better!
Another benefit of the play 5 is it could be taken away and used as a standalone unit if needed. Not so easy with sub and play 1s

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Subtletree, sorry it has taken 8 days for a response. Here are my thoughts...

Hi I have 2 areas of questions.

Using the Sonos app with multiple users
1. Would you recommend Sonos for an office of 10-14 people?
2. Does the app work fine with multiple users able to queue songs/albums after each other?
3. Does everyone use their own spotify/google play account or can you share each others or use a joint account?

1. Yes, Play 1, Sonos One or Play 5. Note: IMO using Play 5's would be the best fit. They would allow users to send music to them via BT transceiver (on their phone or tablet) hooked into one of the speakers line-in. Users would not need to load the Sonos App to their device.

Speakers could be grouped to play the same audio. You could isolate Sonos on a private network (assuming employees currently have access to the general work network) to belay security concerns. However, not all streaming services allow their content over BT. Of course you could just use Sonos in the normal fashion.

2. Everyone would have the Sonos controller on their iOS or Android device. They could play songs that are resident to their device. However, Sonos does not let you setup a cue in the sense of waiting in-line to play Jane's music after Bill's automatically. Everyone would have to wait there turn.

If a song was part of a queue played by Jane and the same song was in Bill's queue unless Jane clears her queue the same song selected by Bill would probably come up on his device as "already in queue". Bottom-line everyone should clear their queue before the next person begins.

3. The link best explains this question: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2757?language=en_US

\
I'm thinking of
A. 1x play 5 and 2x play 1's
B. 3/4x play 1's and a sub
C. Something else?

(Would likely put a play 5 or sub near the printer (wired in for better connection) and have the play one's on the opposite wall)

I'm quite sold on the play 5 after hearing it in store next to a play 1. It was waaay better!
Another benefit of the play 5 is it could be taken away and used as a standalone unit if needed. Not so easy with sub and play 1s

A. Play 5 as the central speaker is a great idea (especially given it's line-in capability)
B. Here again I'd opt for scenario "A"
C. A sub can only be Bonded to a single speaker or stereo pair. It cannot be bonded to multiple single speakers or multiple stereo pairs.

I hope this helps. Cheers!
Thanks ajTrek1!

Really appreciate your time in writing this. Looks like the play 5's are a good fit. Cheers!