Question

What should i get?

• 7 June 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge
Hello Everyone, i'm new to the Sonos Ecosystem, I recently bought a play 1 for my sister on her birthday.
The sound was really good but she was able to pair it with another play 1 that she bought the same day and it was awesome!!, now i want to get my own Sonos; the real questions is what should i get? A Playbar or 2 Play 1? I don't have a Home Theater in my house, really don't watch too much TV but though it would be nice to have the soundbar for the TV and Music? how does this two compare i though it would be better since it has a 9 speakers. any feedback?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I think the first thing to look into is whether your TV will work with the PLAYBAR. The PLAYBAR requires an optical input from your TV, which is common, but if you have an older tv, maybe not. As well, your TV really needs to send Dolby Digital 5.1 to the PLAYBAR.

On the other hand, getting 2 PLAY:1s is $50 off right now, a good opportunity. There will be other deals though. If it were me, I probably wouldn't want to pass up on that deal. I have a PLAYBAR, but sort of inherited it. It definitely is worth it, but I also have the SUB and surrounds.

One of the great things about Sonos is you can add more speakers as your tastes and budget allows. So you could get the PLAY:1s now and get a PLAYBAR later...or vice versa. Maybe start adding additional rooms depending on your home and long term goals.

The are plenty of other more experienced Sonos users who can probably give better advice.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I think you may need to rethink your choices
While a play bar can be connected to your TV and also play your music, the play 1's cannot be used with your TV (at least not without getting other devices)

Most will probably agree that a play 1 pair is much better for music than the Play bar, but with the play bar you get to connect it to you TV for 3.0 sound and also play music.

The play bar is also much more expensive than 2 play 1's (£700 vs £400)
Badge
Thank you so much for everyone input,
i have an Sony 750DTV, it was purchased last year it does support Dolby Digital over the optical output.
optical digital audio output (can pass Dolby® Digital/DTS multichannel or 2-channel audio from connected sources)

I believe it comes down to what i really want to achieve. it would be nice to have sound on the TV but i was not impress by the soundbar and the DEMO at my local best buy and from reading at different forum it does make different listening in a real world scenario.

with this price drop? is Sonos releasing anything new any time soon? from historical data never seen the sub for less than 50 discount.

Thank you for all the help.