Question

What's the right setup for my new condo

• 10 January 2018
  • 9 replies

Hello World

I'm about to move to a new condo and would love some help coming up with the ideal Sonos setup. I listen to music constantly (in every room of the house), and entertain a lot / throw parties.

How would you setup the condo in the pictures? What speakers should I buy and how should I place them? I'm starting from zero

Appreciate the help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I suppose the first question is: Do you want this just for music or do you want TV output as well? Next, do you have a budget in mind?
Just music. ~$2000
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Well you have a few options based on the size of the rooms but this, as all Audio options, is very much a personal opinion:

Based upon your statement that you love music and want a total home system, I would suggest the following:

1/ A pair of Play:5's set up as a stereo pair in the area of your living room. These will give a great sound quality in your main entertaining area;
2/ Another Play:5 in the Kitchen set up as another Sonos room but being able to be grouped together so that the lower floor of your condo is immersed in high quality audio;
3/ An Echo Dot in the living room away from any of the three Play:5's, so that you can have voice control of the music output down stairs;
4/ A Sonos One with Alexa in both the Study area and the Bedroom. This will enable voice control of the entire home from all three main areas and whilst focusing the high quality audio in the main living space, you have a good quality audio backing this up throughout your entire home - and with the benefits of Voice Control. (You may need an additional Echo Dot in the Kitchen but the cost of these are currently circa $49)

Play:5 x3 - $1,497
Sonos Ones x 2 = $298
Echo Dot's x 2 = $98

Total cost $1893

If you want to save some money, you can either change the Play:5's for Play:3's - saving $750 or not buy the third Play:5 for the Kitchen until you've tested the system, however the original specification will provide an immense sound quality.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
My post has been referred to the mods, so a slight delay. :?
Very helpful. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Let us know how you get on and what set-up you went for. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I like UK Media's Ideas.

I would probably do the two Play:5s in the Living room as he had.

I would probably put one of the Sonos:Ones in the Kitchen (alexa is great to have in kitchen - Alexa add eggs to shopping list). That then gives you voice support downstairs too. And I think 3 Play:5s in downstairs is going to be overkill.

Then the other Play:5 in the Study to give you excellent sound upstairs.

Then a Sonos:One in the bedroom pointing toward bathroom as well for music. That gives you upstairs voice control.

I would then skip the two Echo Dots and just use the Sonos:Ones for voice control.

$1795 - and a splurge would be add a Sonos sub for the downstairs.
I agree with the last post but you forgot to add a sub - 2 Play 5’s a sub and a playbase downstairs and a few Sonos ones upstairs and if you link them in stereo you get amazing sound quality even out of ones - or go all out and add 2 5’s down stairs and 2 more upstairs linked in stereo mode and 2 ones with Alexa in built in say 1 for the office /study and 1 for the bedroom no need for a boost at all so forget that one..or the connect amp or connect unless your planning on using other stereo sources then you’ll need one of these but do get a sub it makes it all worth while
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I agree with the last post but you forgot to add a sub - 2 Play 5’s a sub and a playbase downstairs and a few Sonos ones upstairs and if you link them in stereo you get amazing sound quality even out of ones - or go all out and add 2 5’s down stairs and 2 more upstairs linked in stereo mode and 2 ones with Alexa in built in say 1 for the office /study and 1 for the bedroom no need for a boost at all so forget that one..or the connect amp or connect unless your planning on using other stereo sources then you’ll need one of these but do get a sub it makes it all worth while

Apart from that blows the budget and the Playbase isn't required as no TV in the requirements. 🙂