Question

what is the best setup for a 665 sq ft 1-bedroom apartment?

• 25 September 2020
  • 3 replies

I am a Sonos virgin and am finally ready to take the plunge. What’s the best setup for this space if money were no object? And would your recommendations change if I wanted to cap my total spending at $2500?

1st priority – a wireless setup that fills the entire KITCHEN/LIVING/DINING area and supports Spotify streaming, vinyl, DAT tapes and CDs: •I know I want the Sonos-compatible Project T-1 Phono SB turntable Is a single Five speaker enough to fill this space, or should I get 2 and set them up as a stereo pair? And/or something else? And what is the ideal speaker positioning? •What are the pros/cons of the Port vs the Amp? Which is the best solution to connect my DAT and CD players to the speakers? 

2nd priority – home theater in BEDROOM for 65” Samsung The Frame TV & Spotify streaming: •I know I need the Arc soundbar for this size TV •Which other speakers are best for this size room and what is the ideal positioning for each one?

Low priority – Spotify streaming in BATH: •I’ll probably just move the Amazon Echo here – can it be connected/controlled through the Sonos app? 

Thanks in advance for your expert recommendations!

3 replies

Ahh...that leads to another question, assuming that the ancient system is still working because if it is, it may well be difficult to get better sound quality from Sonos in the space where it is delivering music well.

So, the question: in the area addressed by the receiver+Bose speakers, what improvements are you looking at? In terms of sound quality ( if any is felt to be lacking), coverage across the space, and in terms of more sources of music able to be played? 

Because if the receiver is doing a good but limited job, the solutions to the above will be different as compared to if it is not. Or, if even if it is doing good job, if it is taking up too much space.

It will also help to know how you are accustomed to listening to music - if you are accustomed to stereo sound, any other route will not sound the same. If not, the solutions may differ.

I’m used to listening to music in stereo - the Sonos wireless system will replace my ancient (c. 1985) system of analog receiver and pair of Bose 301 Series III Direct/Reflecting speakers.

It will also help to know how you are accustomed to listening to music - if you are accustomed to stereo sound, any other route will not sound the same. If not, the solutions may differ.