Question

what device do I need

• 21 August 2019
  • 5 replies

I recently moved in a home that has 2 wired sonos speakers. What is the device called that I need to purchase to begin playing music etc ?

5 replies

Two wired Sonos speaker doesn’t make sense, Sonos makes wireless speakers.

Are these Sonance speakers? Or are they Sonos speakers with an Ethernet cable connected to them?

Any extra information would be helpful, especially if you can tell us exactly what model the speakers are.

it could be you just need to download the Sonos app, and connect the speakers to an account. Or, you may need to purchase a Sonos Amp, which would power third party speakers.
sorry did not mean wired. They are Sonos Play 1 mounted to the wall. Is it just the boost I need to purchase ? The speakers were here from the previous home owner. Appreciate the help
Aha.

No, you just need to download the app, and connect them to your account. That will likely require you either running an ethernet cable to them to get them connected to your wifi signal, or perhaps removing them temporarily from the wall and moving them closer to your router in order to wire them.

But I would highly recommend that you factory reset them before adding them to your account.

Most mounts make it relatively easy to remove the speaker part from the wall mount part....I know the Flexson mounts I put in my kitchen in San Mateo were that way, you just lifted it up and it would separate from the wall mount part of the device.
sorry did not mean wired. They are Sonos Play 1 mounted to the wall. Is it just the boost I need to purchase ? The speakers were here from the previous home owner. Appreciate the help
Just factory reset the Play: 1 speakers and connect them to your local WiFi router using the free mobile Sonos App software (iOS/Android etc.). The mobile needs to be connected to the WiFi router too.. choose the option to setup a new Sonos System and follow the on screen instructions for each speaker in the home.
Just to clarify, once the first Play:1 speaker is setup.. in the Sonos App Settings, there is the option to further ‘Add a Speaker or Sub' to the System.. select that option to add your second (factory reset) speaker and any subsequent devices.