Answered

What center speaker in a 3:0 setup for home cinema?

• 18 July 2019
  • 6 replies

I'm planning to sell my Sony reciever and B&W M1-speaker setup and go wireless with a couple of Play:5-speakers in a 2:0 setup with my TV.

From a few years back when I had a proper 5:1 setup I really liked having the dialogue isolated through a center speaker and I'm wondering if I can make that happen in a Sonos-setup as well?

I've been reading a bit about it and from what I could gather its not that simple without including a reciever (which I dont want to do) or start messing with setting one speaker as another room speaker and risking delays etc.

Anyone with any tips?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 18 July 2019, 21:12

There is no way to have an independent center speaker in a Sonos setup. Nor is it possible to use a Play:5 as the left/right in a surround setup. The possibilities for the front sound stage with a TV source are:

1. Playbar/Playbase/Beam as the left, center, and right
  2. Amp powering left and right passive speakers with a phantom center.
View original

6 replies

There is no way to have an independent center speaker in a Sonos setup. Nor is it possible to use a Play:5 as the left/right in a surround setup. The possibilities for the front sound stage with a TV source are:

1. Playbar/Playbase/Beam as the left, center, and right
  2. Amp powering left and right passive speakers with a phantom center.
Thanks jgatie. From what I read two play 5 turned on their short side would turn into a stereo setup but you're saying I can't do that, not even if I never go surround but stay 2:0 (or later 2:1)? Two play 5 seem to bring a better punch than a playbase and wouldn't be as expensive as getting a playbase and a sub.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
You could use the Line In on the 5’s but there will be a 70msec delay which can put out the lip sync.

The only Sonos with 5.1 sound processing, as already said, is Playbar, Playbase and Beam.
Thanks jgatie. From what I read two play 5 turned on their short side would turn into a stereo setup but you're saying I can't do that, not even if I never go surround but stay 2:0 (or later 2:1)? Two play 5 seem to bring a better punch than a playbase and wouldn't be as expensive as getting a playbase and a sub.

You would need analog out on your TV, which is increasingly missing in newer TVs, and it would incur the 70 ms delay. The analog line-in is mostly made for audio only sources, though some have made it work with TV in the past. Me, I'm very sensitive to audio and video sync issues, and it would drive me bonkers. YMMV.
Userlevel 7
No need already clarified by jgatie. Discovered after posting.
Thanks again looks like I'll purchase a playbase then to replace what I have right now.