Question

Using Zonebridge BR100 to extend range

• 9 November 2019
  • 3 replies

Have a BR100, realise they are probably out of support now, want to use it to extend range, so want to use it wirelessly. Have A Play 1 connected to router for normal use. When I go and set it up and say I want to use it to extend range, it asks me to temporarily connect a lan cable, that works fine & set’s it up & can see it in ‘my system’ but as soon as I remove the lan cable it disappears. 

Would a boost be able to achieve this in same way, i.e. set it up wirelessly to extend the range?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

BR100 is still supported, BOOST is more effective.

Note that you cannot use BR100 or BOOST in a totally wireless system. If you are having coverage issues you can add a second, wireless, BRIDGE or BOOST. Place the second unit about midway between the wired unit and the remote area. If PLAY:1 is extremely distant, you can use a string of wireless BRIDGE/BOOST’s to support the remote unit.

Thanks for this, I will get a boost, ZB is very old, but still odd why it will work when wired, but not wirelessly. I have a Play 1 connected to router & that runs all my Sonos kit fine, two Play 5s, Beam & surround. Trying to add the ZB to extend to a Play 1 some distance away, but will not connect once I take it off wired (which the App says I must do temporarily to set it up). Have reset router once I uncabled it to ensure it’s not stuck in the lan side!

The Bridge should work as a wireless mesh extender, though as noted it’s ancient tech and inferior to Boost. Has it been updated to the latest firmware?