Using existing set-up

• 25 November 2018
  • 8 replies

I moved in to a home with 5 speakers built in to the living room, 2 on a screened porch, 1 in the master bathroom, and 2 more in a playroom. All but the last 2 are wired to a central closet that is empty as of now. I have a receiver to put in, but want to see if there is a SONOS setup that I can use to be able to control things in each room separately. Happy to provide more details. I am pretty novice when it comes to audio stuff. Thanks for any help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You could use your receiver and a connect but you'd only be able to play one thing at a time. Or use multiple Connect Amps for the stereo speakers. You need to check the single speaker to see if it is a dual coil or single coil speaker to decide what to do for it.
If you want to control each room separately, you’ll need a Sonos CONNECT:AMP, or even better, the Sonos Amp that I think was just released for each room. Might get expensive, but it’s the only way to control each room’s audio individually. If you’re willing to give up on that, I’d suggest a multi-room amp to power all the speakers, and a single Sonos CONNECT to feed it. You’d only be able to get one stream at a time, but you could use the amp to decide what rooms to play it in.
Thanks, Bruce. Any recommendation on a multi room amp?
Don’t use one, so zero experience to share, sorry.
If I went the one connect:amp per room route, would I be able to hook up the five speakers in our living room to one unit?
I wouldn’t think so, that would likely be to low an impedance. And now you’re getting out of my area of understanding.

I think you might do 4 together, if the impedance was correct, but I’d think 5 would be an issue.

You’ll need to know exactly what type of speakers they are to know what impedance level they are.
Single coil, dual coil, impedance...foreign language to me. Thanks for the help. Clearly I need to learn more.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Single coil is for a mono signal or for one channel of a stereo signal. Dual coil is for both channels of a stereo signal.

Impedance is how hard the speaker resists the flow of power from the amp. Too much and the amp can't push enough power to play loud, too little and the amp (hopefully) shuts down to protect the outputs from too much power flowing and burning them out.

Speakers are commonly 4 or 8 Ohms with a few at 6 or 16. Two 8 Ohm speakers appear to the amp as 4 Ohms. Two 6 Ohm as 3 which is not enough. If you have issues getting a good match you can buy an impedance matching box that will sort things out for you.

It isn't rocket science but there is a learning curve, best approached cautiously so as to not let the magic blue smoke out of your expensive gear!