Using a Sonos Amp and Cambridge Audio CXA81 Amplifier Together

• 20 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hello 

I am thinking of getting the new Sonos amp to get the sound from my main tv Sky, Dvd etc coming through my main amplifier which are in different rooms

I currently just use a old Sonos Connect wired to my main Cambridge Audio CXA81 amplifier, Nas Drive and router which are all together in the room next door, this new Sonos amp would just be connected to my TV in the other room but be wirelessly linked to the old connect  

Can I please ask?

Would the new Sonos Amp need to be connected to my router via Ethernet cable or just Wi-Fi as this is not in the same room as the Cambridge amp?

If it does work How would I get the tv sound through the Cambridge amp, by grouping it to one of the rooms which I already have on the connect linked to my Cambridge or buy using line in function on the Sonos app ?

Would the new Sonos Amp be classed as its own room or zone and would I then then be able to use it as my main player for my entire music library including hi-res files the connect does not support?

Thanks

Barry

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @budgie 1964.

Thanks for your immediate response.

The Sonos Port would be the latest Sonos device to replace the old Sonos Connect.  Let me share with you the Sonos Port limitation, specification, functionalities, and guidelines. If you would like to choose to replace your Sonos Connect with the Sonos Port, I would advise contacting our sales team @+18006802345 Option 4 to get the best advice and what is on sale on our website.

Please let me know if you still have any questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Badge +2

Hi @budgie 1964.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

So to play my entire music library through my Cambridge amplifier my Sonos amp would be 1 room and the connect would be another room which I would always have grouped together and I would then always play my music through the Sonos amp using the S2 app and not have to use the S1 app anymore ? Your old Sonos connect would not be able to run on the Sonos S2 App. Let me share with you the Sonos S2 compatibility guide to better understand what devices run on S1 only, either S1 or S2, or S2 only Sonos app. That means if you would need to continue using your old Sonos connect, they would all need to stay and run via the Sonos S1 app.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you still have any further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Ok thanks but a least it will all work , which would be  the best device I can connect to my Cambridge amp instead of the connect to make it all S2 Compatible?

Thanks

Barry

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @budgie 1964.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

So to play my entire music library through my Cambridge amplifier my Sonos amp would be 1 room and the connect would be another room which I would always have grouped together and I would then always play my music through the Sonos amp using the S2 app and not have to use the S1 app anymore ? Your old Sonos connect would not be able to run on the Sonos S2 App. Let me share with you the Sonos S2 compatibility guide to better understand what devices run on S1 only, either S1 or S2, or S2 only Sonos app. That means if you would need to continue using your old Sonos connect, they would all need to stay and run via the Sonos S1 app.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you still have any further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Badge +2

HI @budgie 1964.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand you are looking for answers in regards to the Sonos Amp or a Sonos device to integrate your third party music source into your Sonos ecosystem, Let me help you out.

YOu have mentioned that you currently use an old Sonos Connect wired to your main Cambridge Audio CXA81 amplifier, Nas Drive, and routerAllow me share some guidelines and FAQs to help answer your questions.

Would the new Sonos Amp need to be connected to my router via Ethernet cable or just Wi-Fi as this is not in the same room as the Cambridge amp? 

• The Sonos Amp can work wirelessly through your 2.4 GHz wireless network or can be connected to the router via ethernet cable for a more stable internet connection.

If it does work How would I get the tv sound through the Cambridge amp, by grouping it to one of the rooms which I already have on the connect linked to my Cambridge or buy using line in function on the Sonos app ? You would need any of the Sonos home theater system to be connected to the TV . The Sonos Playbar, Playbase, Beam, Arc or Sonos Amp. Then you are connect. By grouping the Sonos device connected to your TV with your Sonos Connect via the Sonos App, you can get the TV audio running through your speakers the only issue you’ll have using this function delay. However, if you choose to use the Sonos Amp and the group function on the Sonos App, the TV is on one room and the audio would be on the other room and there will be a delay between the TV and the audio. better use a Sonos home theater speaker to do the job like the Sonos Playbar, Playbase, Beamm or Arc.

Would the new Sonos Amp be classed as its own room or zone and would I then then be able to use it as my main player for my entire music library including hi-res files the connect does not support? Yes 1 Sonos device is equal to 1 room on the Sonos App unless you 2 Sonos devices to a Sonos home theater speaker as surrounds where all 3 Sonos devices become 1 room on the Sonos App.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

HI Paul 

Thanks for getting back to me and your informative reply

I understand most of what you are saying can i just ask about the last part please

Would the new Sonos Amp be classed as its own room or zone and would I then then be able to use it as my main player for my entire music library including hi-res files the connect does not support? Yes 1 Sonos device is equal to 1 room on the Sonos App unless you 2 Sonos devices to a Sonos home theater speaker as surrounds where all 3 Sonos devices become 1 room on the Sonos App.

So to play my entire music library through my Cambridge amplifier my Sonos amp would be 1 room and the connect would be another room which I would always have grouped together and I would then always play my music through the Sonos amp using the S2 app and not have to use the S1 app anymore ?

Many Thanks

Barry

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

HI @budgie 1964.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand you are looking for answers in regards to the Sonos Amp or a Sonos device to integrate your third party music source into your Sonos ecosystem, Let me help you out.

YOu have mentioned that you currently use an old Sonos Connect wired to your main Cambridge Audio CXA81 amplifier, Nas Drive, and routerAllow me share some guidelines and FAQs to help answer your questions.

• The Sonos Amp can work wirelessly through your 2.4 GHz wireless network or can be connected to the router via ethernet cable for a more stable internet conection.

If it does work How would I get the tv sound through the Cambridge amp, by grouping it to one of the rooms which I already have on the connect linked to my Cambridge or buy using line in function on the Sonos app ? You would need any of the Sonos home theater system to be connected to the TV . The Sonos Playbar, Playbase, Beam, Arc or Sonos Amp. Then you are connect. By grouping the Sonos device connected to your TV with your Sonos Connect via the Sonos App, you can get the TV audio running through your speakers the only issue you’ll have using this function delay. However, if you choose to use the Sonos Amp and the group function on the Sonos App, the TV is on one room and the audio would be on the other room and there will be a delay between the TV and the audio. better use a Sonos home theater speaker to do the job like the Sonos Playbar, Playbase, Beamm or Arc.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,