Used Sonos Play:1?

• 7 January 2019
  • 5 replies

My roomate is moving out of the country at the end of the semester and is selling his Sonos Play:1 for what looks like a good price. Are there different generations of Sonos Play:1 and the latest models are somehow better than the old ones? Or are the firmwares updated on a regular basis via wireless for all Sonos Play:1? I want to make sure this is not instead a crappy deal.

What system would you recommend if I want to add stereo? This is mostly to play music from Spotify/Pandora/Playlist from my computer and then ideally sound for Sports games from TV. Should I get a second Play:1? And do I need one of those amp/Connect product? I am not sure the difference.

Lastly, is the Sonos One a better product? I don't need that Alexa stuff.

Thanks.
Kevin

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

All Sonos Play:1s are the same version, their firmware is updated on a regular basis via the Ethernet.

For stereo, another Play:1 can be paired with your Play:1. Note: The similar looking Sonos One cannot be paired. Make sure it is a Play:1.

If you do not need Alexa, the only thing the One will offer is Airplay capability.
All Play:1s are the same, there are no generations. The Sonos One is a different speaker. Unlike the Play:1 it has built in Alexa and is Airplay 2 compatible. Another Play:1 would allow you to set the pair up to play stereo. I suggest you abandon all thoughts of using these for TV sound. If that is important, consider passing up the offer and get a Beam instead. If it is for music, then a stereo pair of Play:1s is remarkably good for the size and price, IMO.
My roomate is moving out of the country at the end of the semester and is selling his Sonos Play:1 for what looks like a good price. Are there different generations of Sonos Play:1 and the latest models are somehow better than the old ones? Or are the firmwares updated on a regular basis via wireless for all Sonos Play:1? I want to make sure this is not instead a crappy deal.

When Sonos does an update, all hardware is updated. There isn't really going to be a difference in older/newer play:1s.

What system would you recommend if I want to add stereo?

Stereo pairs must be of like kind, so it must be another Play:1.

This is mostly to play music from Spotify/Pandora/Playlist from my computer and then ideally sound for Sports games from TV.

Play:1 is not a computer speaker, nor a TV speaker. It can play music services directly (without the use of a computer or phone), tracks stored on your computer/phone/NAS, or audio sourced from another Sonos speaker/device.

Should I get a second Play:1? And do I need one of those amp/Connect product? I am not sure the difference.

I would wait to get a second play:1 until you've grown more familiar with what the Sonos system can do. You can add it at any time. You won't need an amp. The Connect can be used for it's line-in capability (connect to your computer/TV) but the audio will not sync with the video. The devices have a built in buffer so they can do multi-room audio. Sonos has other products designed for use with a TV.

Lastly, is the Sonos One a better product? I don't need that Alexa stuff.

Yes it is. It has upgraded hardware, and works with Airplay 2. It is more likely to get new features in the future. That's not to say that the Play:1 is really inferior. It does it's job well and sounds about the same as the Sonos One.
There was a revision of the original Play:1 back in 2016 or so. Some original parts were replaced in order to reduce production costs. Apparently these changes did not affect the overall sound and product quality.
Thanks all for your answers. This really helps. I have to say, as a newbie on this site, I am quite impressed with the rapidity and quality of all your responses.