Answered

Use Sonos App to control tower speakers

• 5 September 2019
  • 10 replies

I have a Denon AVR-X4300H with 5 Klipsche speakers hooked up for 5.1 surround sound in my living room. I'm using sonos thru out my house to control both wired in ceiling speakers with amp and wireless play 1 speakers. I use the sonos app to control all of these except for the home theater setup. I would like to use the sonos app to control only the two tower speakers of my 5.1 system. I currently have an extra amp could I use it? If not what do I need to do?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 5 September 2019, 04:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Thanks for all of the feedback. It looks like I may end up doing the Connect into AVR.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
A Connect (or the new Port) into a free input on your AVR would be the best option for what you desire. I'm doing the same thing in my living room, just have to switch the receiver to the correct input.
Userlevel 7
@cbrogdon

Read my post again. Those are your options. Anything else you might be considering involving amplification is messy/risky as @ratty said.
Would a Sonos Connect be the best way to do this?
That's what it's for.
Would a Sonos Connect be the best way to do this?
You can't connect an Amp to a line-level input without using a messy 'speaker-to-line-level' converter. The Connect is designed for the job of feeding third party amplification.

And connecting an Amp directly to the speakers at the same time as the Denon would have both amplifiers seeing a virtual short-circuit, as they'd each be firing into the output of the other. As I said earlier this could damage both devices.
The amp that I have is a Sonos amp. So I would need to output from it into the Denon correct? Couldn't output to the speakers since they already have input coming from the Denon correct?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
If you are thinking of buying Connect you might want to hold on for a few days as there some Sonos announcements coming which might (although the rumour mill has gone quiet on this) include a new/ replacement Connect
If the idea is to wire a second amp to the front two speakers, at the same time as the Denon AVR, do not do this. You could well damage one or both amplifiers.
Userlevel 7
Hi cbrogdon

If by extra Amp you mean a Sonos Amp or Sonos Connect: Amp you could connect the tower speakers to either to send Sonos to them.

If by extra Amp you mean a spare AVR you can connect the tower speakers to it and incorporate a Sonos Connect to an AUX input to send Sonos to them.

You could also incorporate a Sonos Connect with the existing Denon AVR-X4300H if it has an unused AUX input. The sound would be auto directed to the main L/R speakers (in stereo) as there would be no center or surround material being sent.

Cheers!