Answered

upgrading a fragmented system

• 31 December 2019
  • 3 replies

My house has 4 ceiling speakers terminated to a closet with a Sony amp/tuner.  I have 4 more ceiling speakers that terminate to different closet that have no amp. 

Is my best solution a Sonos Amp and Port?  If I use the port, how does the amp turn on? 

There already is a Sonos Beam in another room too.  iPhone X and iPad are in the environment.

Thanks,

James

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 31 December 2019, 07:52

Maybe look at two Amps and scrapping the Sony?

You might need an impedance matching unit for the Amp depending on your speakers.

I haven’t read it but I think the Port manual is available from the Sonos Port’s page.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

My Sony amp is 9 years old, I'm not sure if it has a power trigger. I'll check the owner's manual when I get home from work 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You might need an impedance matching unit for the Amp depending on your speakers.

I haven’t read it but I think the Port manual is available from the Sonos Port’s page.

Scrapping the Sony is definitely in play.

Thanks for your reply.  Impedance matching? Interesting twist.  Does the possible impedance mis-match come if the speakers are different Ohms?  How could I check, use a meter or get the models#  of the speakers and check the specs?   I'm assuming, they're 8 ohms but that's a assumption.

I'm leaning towards ditching the Sony, and running two Sonos Amps.

Thanks