Question

Upgrade system advice

• 27 June 2020
  • 3 replies

I am looking to upgrade my system. Currently I have 2 Play 1s, Playbar, Sub and a Connect. The Connect is hooked to my receiver which is very old. The receiver is used to power my 4 outdoor speakers. I want to upgrade the outdoor experience - as I said the receiver is very old, 90s model Kenwood KR-V7040. 

Would I be better off buying a Amp or a Port + one receiver?

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @marcreynolds, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

Before trying to upgrade to either a Sonos Port or Sonos Amp. I would suggest getting the specifications of your speakers.

The Amp can connect to 8-ohm impedance 125-watt speakers.

You can refer to this article in upgrading to an Amp. Set up your Sonos Amp.

Be best to get the specification of your speakers first to prevent any potential damage.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your reply. My outdoor speakers are 2 Polk Audio Atrium 4s (8 ohm)

• Recommended Amplifier Power Per Channel

10 watts → 80 watts

and 2 Bose Free Space 51s (also 8 ohm)

Compatible with amps and receivers 10w-100w

I am trying to determine if I will get better performance with the Amp versus a Port and an upgraded receiver. As I mentioned I currently use the Connect and a Kenwood receiver that is quite old. 

Thanks again!

Marc

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @marcreynolds, thank you for the reply.

It will be the same system for both setup, the only difference is you don’t need a 3rd party amplifier for the Sonos Amp.

The Sonos Port doesn’t have an amplifier; So that’s why we need to connect it to a 3rd party amplifier.

You might want to consider also, the price point for each. Sonos Port + New 3rd party amplifier or just the Sonos Amp.

Sonos Amp is directly connected to the speakers while the Sonos Port acts like a receiver for the 3rd party amplifier to connect to the Sonos system or other way around. 

Sonos Port can also be the receiver for the Sonos system; to connect to any radio stations you can pick up with your radio receiver. because the Sonos Port has line-in and line-out while the Amp only has line-in.

The performance should be relatively the same. It’s a matter of utility, what do you want your Sound system to do.

I hope this helps you with your decision. 

Reach out if you have other concerns or questions.