Unsure what to place in Kitchen

• 16 February 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge
Hi All

I am new to Sonos, and I was wondering if any of you could help me.

I am considering buying some speakers for my kitchen, and was wondering what the better option would be.

I was thinking either 2 Play 1's or 2 Play 3's above the kitchen cabinets (I'm leaning towards the latter).

Any and all suggestions would be a great help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
If you've not heard Sonos speakers before i would suggest that looking at the size of your kitchen a single Play 3 (White) above the cupboard to the right of the extractor would be ideal. Then you could always add another on the other side if you really felt it was needed. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the sound produced by the Play 3 (especially after it's been tuned with Trueplay).
Userlevel 7
I don't know how time you spend in your kitchen, but you might consider the Sonos One x 2 and place them in Stereo pair on either side of the exhaust hood. Advantages are they have the Alexa voice assistant and are moisture resistant (i.e. steam from cooking). The Play 3's offer none of the features of the Sonos One. FYI, the Sonos One is a different speaker from the Play:1. Also, stereos pairs must be of the same speaker not mixed.

FYI, you may want to consider a Sonos Boost ($99-USD) depending upon your Wi-Fi signal to the kitchen. The Boost plugs into your router and transmits the Sonos dedicated wireless signal throughout your home. Here's a link to help you decide on the best setup for your needs:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, axedhillon. Welcome to the Community and thanks for sharing your kitchen with us! I recently put a Sonos One right by my kitchen sink and love it. Having voice assistance while cooking has proven to be super helpful. If you should run into any problems, feel free to reach out!
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I think either of your options will work fine, and as others have said a single speaker may be enough. I really enjoy the stereo separation though, so for me it would be a stereo pair. In my kitchen I have installed ceiling speakers and a Connect Amp - just as another idea. A Boost may be helpful, as mentioned above, but if you have or are intending to have multiple rooms with Sonos in, you only need one wired component for Sonos to make use of its mesh network, which usually gives a more stable experience.
Userlevel 7
Hello Again

Another reason to consider the Sonos One’s is that you can control the volume level by voice which would be rather difficult with a Play 3 or Play 1 if the speakers were placed overhead (as I suggested in my first post).

Since you have a beautiful kitchen...I know you wouldn’t want a bunch of unsightly electrical cable marring its looks if you decide to place speakers overhead. Below is a cable management system found on Amazon. The only difference is that the placement would be along the ceiling then down the left side of the cabinet on the left

The other option assuming there is access above the kit ceiling is to place electrical outlets on the wall above the cabinets. Not trying to run up an installation bill….just a suggestion. :8
Badge
Hello Again

Another reason to consider the Sonos One’s is that you can control the volume level by voice which would be rather difficult with a Play 3 or Play 1 if the speakers were placed overhead (as I suggested in my first post).

Since you have a beautiful kitchen...I know you wouldn’t want a bunch of unsightly electrical cable marring its looks if you decide to place speakers overhead. Below is a cable management system found on Amazon. The only difference is that the placement would be along the ceiling then down the left side of the cabinet on the left

The other option assuming there is access above the kit ceiling is to place electrical outlets on the wall above the cabinets. Not trying to run up an installation bill….just a suggestion. :8

Apologies
That is a kitchen of a show home (my home is still currently being built) but is very close to the finished product I will have.

I have already asked the contractor to install a socket above the cabinet.

Currently my new home is approximately 4 months away from completion.

So I have a very flexible approach of what I am able to do here.

This is current state of my house.

Userlevel 7
OK...That's a good one 😉 LOL