Question

Two Play:1's or a Move with a Beam?

• 21 July 2020
  • 5 replies

I have a Beam connected to my TV and I’m struggling between a pack of two 1’s or one Move-

Surround sound isn’t a priority - but it would be a fun option. It mainly plays music throughout the day and having multi-room music would be possible with either setup. The main dilemma for me is - would the Move still create a good, immersive second speaker when playing from the TV, compared to surround-sound 1’s? 

5 replies

The Move can not be used as a surround speaker, if that affects your decision.

I gathered that- I’m wondering if one supporting Move will be as good as two surround-sound 1’s- I don’t really have any experience with surround sound so i’m having trouble imagining it. 

Biased opinion, but I watch a lot of movies, so surround sound is a must for me. But that pretty much locks down those speakers to that use case, it isn’t convenient to move them for other types of use elsewhere. But even if you got the pair, you’re not required to use the as surrounds. You could set them up as a stereo pair in another ‘room’, or even two separate ‘rooms’ in the software, and place them anywhere in your home. 

Biased opinion, but I watch a lot of movies, so surround sound is a must for me. But that pretty much locks down those speakers to that use case, it isn’t convenient to move them for other types of use elsewhere. But even if you got the pair, you’re not required to use the as surrounds. You could set them up as a stereo pair in another ‘room’, or even two separate ‘rooms’ in the software, and place them anywhere in your home. 

What is it that makes it not convenient to move them to another room temporarily? Do they need to be re-calibrated every time? (I imagine the answer is yes, and the Move does that automatically, right?)

Yes. Bonding and un-bonding is several keystrokes, and becomes cumbersome around the third time you do it. And yes, any TruePlay tuning is lost immediately upon un bonding, and if desired, needs to be redone.