TVs & DVD players that worked with my Sonos Playbar

• 28 January 2018
  • 2 replies

TV and DVD Players compatible with my Playbar.

SONY BDPS6700 DVD PLAYER: Converts DTS and everything else I've tested to Dolby Digital 5.1 BUT remember not all TV'S will pass it through. The DVD player also has it's own audio delay setting.

VIZIO E55-E2: Will take in Dolby Digital 5.1 from all sources, including a Samsung and Sony DVD players I tested, and pass it to the PlayBar. The VIZIO can also adjust the audio delay but it is global, not per channel like the LG below.

SONY XBR55X800E: Will take in Dolby Digital 5.1 from all sources, including DVD players, and pass it to the PlayBar. BUT it does not have an audio delay feature, and so the audio on the play bar was very delayed compared to the TV. If all your devices can adjust the delay than this may not be an issue.

LG 55UJ6300: Will take in Dolby Digital 5.1 passed from some sources like my Fire TV, but for some reason not from two different DVD Players (Samsung and Sony) that worked fine on the Vizio and Sony. The LG does allow for per-source audio delays rather than a global.

The Sonos system sounds fantastic and the Alexa integration is fun. I'm disappointed that it doesn't play with my other Amazon devices so that I can fill the house with music that is all on the same stream, but hopefully that integration will come along.

I'm very disappointed in both Best Buy and Sonos for selling these playbars with minimal support. It took 4 trips to Best Buy and boxing/unboxing 3 TV's, along with hours of testing and tech support discussions, to find one that would work reliably with the Sonos. We bought the Sonos (Playbar, Sub and two Play Ones) at Best Buy and the next trip was going to be to return it. I do not recommend the Sonos system to anyone with the warning that it is far harder to set up than other systems on the market.

I'd Encourage Sonos to partner with a Best Buy and go in the store after hours. Take in some equipment and test all the TV's on the shelf. That way you and Best Buy can build a list of the hardware that works with the Sonos. Of course it may be most people don't realize they are only getting Stereo from their sonos, since even just the stereo sounds great.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Wouldn't hold my breath; if I were you, waiting for FULL NON-ASSISTED integration of Sonos speakers with Amazon products beyond what is currently available. Then again anything is possible :? Regarding TV compatibility you should visit the link below:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1931/kw/compatible%20tv/session/L3RpbWUvMTUxNzU0NDMxOS9zaWQvZlVwWUlpWGpydVlnRlZ5dVRVbFFBd2VFZ1h2JTdFSWFFeDNFM2N6X1lhWlFKOUpkVW1KMGM0THlsOHI2WWVuRzVMOWI3NzRsNGhlbjFHZk0yaHVDM01MX0xTajR1VWJYVm5EVmlTdTN4VkFSWXNsZFhwd3JZM1E2SVElMjElMjE%3D