Answered

TV optical out delay

• 19 November 2018
  • 2 replies

Hello,
I am currently looking for creating a Sonos environment in my house. I mainly use a Raspberry Pi 2 and a Chromecast to play music and videos, both plugged in my TV via HDMI. Good. I'd like to have the sound out of it through a Sonos system. I'm thinking of either a Beam soundbar or a Connect + Play:1 (x2 or 3, to stream throughout the house).
The problem is that I have only 2 HDMI inputs on this TV. Would the optical output of my TV suitable for bringing the signal to either of these devices ? Will I face any delay issue ? I don't care about Dolby Digital, Stereo is fine for me.
Thank you for your inputs ...
icon

Best answer by jgatie 19 November 2018, 18:55

The Beam comes with an optical to HDMI converter for just this use. There will be no delay with the Beam.

If you were to use the Connect+Play:1, you would need analog output from the TV to the analog line-in on the Connect, and there would be a 70 ms delay. As such, the Connect is not really made for TV purposes and the Beam/Playbar/Playbase are better suited to the task.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

The Beam comes with an optical to HDMI converter for just this use. There will be no delay with the Beam.

If you were to use the Connect+Play:1, you would need analog output from the TV to the analog line-in on the Connect, and there would be a 70 ms delay. As such, the Connect is not really made for TV purposes and the Beam/Playbar/Playbase are better suited to the task.
Thank you very much !
I didn't realized that the optical connection on the Connect was for output only. Things are clearer now.
Bye 🙂