Turntable questions

• 1 October 2022
  • 8 replies

Is there  anybody out there that can explain to me the  point to buying a Sonos TT Project Debut carbon for $749 when I can buy the Fluance RT85 Reference High Fidelity Vinyl Turntable with the same blue cart and the built in preamp for $599.

Also I have been looking at the Victrola carbon stream for $799 which has the selling point that it is wireless and not in need of an RCA jack. Since I plan to use the TT/ Play5 in the same room what advantage am I going to get out of the Victrola.

Thanks  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Best thing is to get the turntable you like the best as any will work with a Sonos Five if placed near enough to plug into it. I had an older ProJect deck and just had to buy a small preamp as it didn't have one (I used to have it hooked up to an old hifi separates system). It sounds fab. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

How would you connect a wireless turntable to the Play 5?

The Victrola purports to do what I believe a failed kickstarter was going to do, I.e connect to the Sonos network in some way. It’s just recently been announced, I’m not sure if they’re shipping yet, so that someone ‘real’ could report on how well it works. 

More info here

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

A right, so it’s not only wireless, but it can wirelessly tap in to the Sonos system. I did not know the “works with Sonos” program also made this possible. This opens up a lot of possibilities with CD-players or even amps and receivers, though Sonos might have commercial reasons not to open up the last two possibilities because it would mean less Port sales…..

Edit: watched the video on Youtube:

Looks great. A few questions remain.

At the 2.50 mark, reference is made to “groups” where I would have said “rooms”?

You connect the turntable to your wifi, so probably it will not use Sonosnet?

I would agree, the use of the word ‘room’ would make more sense. It appears you’re setting where the output defaults to.

It seems likely that it won’t connect to a SonosNet network….but I’m not sure how that connection works, either. It’s not clear one way or another from that video. I’d need to see the real instructions, once it’s released, and see. 

I’m not familiar with this unit. Other “Works with Sonos” units incorporate input select and Volume +/- on the device controller and usually connect audio through Line-In. This unit is more tightly integrated with SONOS because it can play wirelessly.

There are still a lot of missing details. I suspect that the turntable uses Airplay 2.

That would be interesting, as I don’t recall having seen a non-Apple device being a source of an AirPlay 2 signal. Lots of receivers, just never a sender. 

As another comment, I think the assertion in the video about the volume control is misworded, I’d expect it to control the ‘room’ where the turntable is playing, and not (as I remember it) your entire Sonos system, unless all rooms are grouped. 

I’m not much familiar with this unit!