Turntable-preamp-cd receiver- connect- Sonos one?

• 18 May 2018
  • 7 replies

Hi there

I know a 'bit' about our set up, but I want to buy husband Sonos so he can listen to his vinyl in at least one room more than the room it's set up in. I just want to be sure I'm buying the right thing and setting up properly.

We have a project turntable, a preamp with one line in and one line out. This goes to our Marantz CD receiver to play through our speakers.

So what is like to do is (I think), plug the connect to a line out of some sort on the cd receiver, so it can pick up the signal to transmit to the sonos when my husband wants to listen in another room

Would that work? And if I buy an older connect from eBay - should that still do what current models do?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Older connects are fine as long as they are in working condition.

Not all receivers have the line out; but what you can for sure do is wire the preamp out to the line in on the Connect, and then wire the Connect line out to the Marantz - thus interposing the Connect between the preamp and the receiver.

You can then have other Sonos speaker like a play I unit play the music from the turntable in addition to or instead of the speakers wired to the Marantz. You can also play music from sources such as the internet play from the Connect via the Marantz and the play 1 unit can do that as well, either grouped with the Connect+Marantz to play the same music, or different music, independently.
Thank you so much Kumar

May I ask if the addition of the connect between the preamp and the receiver affect the sound quality at all?
The Marantz has digital out but I can't work out if anything else, judging by this photo
I can't see any analog out labelled as such, but I also can't see why the Tape and MD blocks, unlike that for DVD, have four jacks; perhaps these are output jacks for looping the Tape/MD. The manual should help confirm. If they are such jacks, you could also wire the output of the Connect to the input pair on top of a block of 4 and the bottom output pair to the Line in jacks of the Connect. The turntable would be left undisturbed and play as it does now, with the Connect bypassed if sound is to be heard only in that room. The Connect would be available to both play the turntable music in other rooms, or to play internet music via the Marantz, by choosing the inputs appropriately on the Marantz.

In theory, anything added to the signal path affects the signal quality, but in practice and also given the inherent issues with vinyl sound quality, it won't be audible except psychologically. So interposing the Connect remains a viable option.

What you will need to do is to play around with the Line In levels on the Connect, even to increasing them to their highest position, 10, to get adequate sound levels from the Connect.
I was able to access and read the manual, and the extra socket pairs for Tape and MD are indeed analog outputs. So you can wire these to the input jacks on the Connect, and wire the output jacks on the Connect to the other two jacks above these output jacks. The turntable connections will be left as they are today.

The advantage of this scheme is that the other sources on the Marantz, like the radio, can also be then set to be heard in another room via Sonos speakers there. As can the turntable. And music that the Connect is directly accessing via the net can be directed to the Marantz by choosing the relevant socket as a source on the Marantz.

There will be some sync issues between the two sets of speakers, Marantz and Sonos, but as long as these are in rooms with walls separating them, it should not matter.
Wow! I was planning to make the epic journey into our attic this morning to retrieve the manual - and you've beaten me to it!

Thank you ever so much

So wire the Marantz and the Connect in a sort of loop? Yes, the speakers will definitely be in separate rooms - initially a Sonos next door in the study and one further away in the kitchen.

You've been so incredibly helpful for a movie like me - thank you so much again
Who needs what's in the attic when there is Google!

Yes, in fact such sockets are called a Tape/MD loop and you make the Connect a part of the loop. That way it can access signals from all sources of the Marantz and also deliver signals that it directly accesses wirelessly from the net, to the Marantz. For the Marantz to use the latter for play, those inputs have to be selected as now playing input via the switch/toggle on the Marantz.
Perfect, thank you. The Marantz has DAB so we might not use it the other way round at first - but it may come in very handy!!
You've been ever so helpful - thank you!