Answered

Turntable, In-Ceilng Speakers and Sonos Five

• 10 January 2021
  • 11 replies

Hello, so I have the following equipment and would like to link it all up and get it all working with Sonos. 

I currently have a turntable with preamp connected to a Sonos 5. I also have 3rd party in-ceiling speakers built into 3 rooms in my house. These all have their own volume controls per room. There is a single RCA wall plate to connect to all the ceiling speakers. (I have only just moved into the house so I don’t know if they require an amp yet or it could be hidden away somewhere?)

How can I connect my turntable to the Sonos 5 and the ceiling speakers (or potentially amp for the ceiling speakers? And also have the ability to stream music (using the Sonos app) to the Sonos 5 and in-ceiling speakers?

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 10 January 2021, 17:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @Harrytowle1 

Lets start with in-ceiling speakers. How speakers per room?

Hi there, 2 per room. 

They’re all connected to one RCA wall panel. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @Harrytowle1 

Thanks for the reply.  As they are non-Sonos speakers your parings would be as follows (the latter number being a Sonos Amp). The speakers would also have to meet the specs in this link

4 x 1 + 2 x 1

2 x 1 + 2 x 1 + 2 x 1

The above configurations allows you set each Amp as a room and play different music to each or the same to all. 

If you use a single 3rd party Amp to power all six speakers you could attach a Sonos Port via RCA-Input. All speakers would play the same music.

I’m bit confused regarding your last question. In your opening statement you say the the turntable and Five are already connected. In your last question you ask how to connect your Five and turntable???  Please clarify.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Harrytowle1 

After reading your last question again I assume you want to know how to bring the TT sound to the in-ceiling speakers as well as the Five. Assuming you are able to utilize the 3rd party in-ceiling speakers with a Sonos Amp or Amps bringing TT music to them is just a matter of grouping them to the Five.

Hi @AjTrek1 

Thanks for the reply, I’m new to this kind of stuff so appreciate your help. 

If I was to use a third party amp and a Sonos port, how would this be configured. Would the amp be connected to the RCA wall plate and then the port connect to the Port through Line-In? Also if there’s already an amp in the system (I’m not sure of this yet) I.e. behind the wall somewhere, would the port be connected straight to the RCA wall plate?

Okay so if I’m understanding this correctly, with whatever configuration I need to utilise the port. Would the port and five be grouped such that playing music on the turntable would play through the five and ceiling speakers?

Thanks again for the help

( I’ve just got access to the house) Sorry to add to that, the ceiling speakers at connected directly from the wall plate into a 6way speaker switcher see image attached. (I think this means that there’s an app already in the system). In this case will the Sonos port be able to be connected to the speaker switcher?

Userlevel 7

Hi @Harrytowle1 

That’s only a switch. I suspect the Amp that also worked as a connection point for source material was taken by the previous owner otherwise it would be in the same area. Depending upon what type of Amp/Source Connector was used the Port would connect to it via an RCA-Input. 

The installation was obviously done by a professional installer. My suggestion is to contact a professional (or ask the previous owner who they used) to assist with adding Sonos. My thoughts are that the Port will be the Sonos product of choice.

Hi @AjTrek1 

I’ve spoken to the previous owners who just had a stereo connected to the switcher via RCA. I think if it needed an amp that would have to be connected to the speakers before the switcher. If this is the case could I just connect the port via line-in to the switcher?

Thanks for your time, it’s been a big help. 

Userlevel 7

Hi 

The previous owner may not have known but his/her stereo as they call it was most likely an integrated Amp/Receiver like one might purchase at a BestBuy. 

Those speakers require Amplification as by themselves do not have a built in Amp. It they had their own Amplification they would plugged into an outlet or hardwired to electrical. 

To your question the Port would be connected to the Amp via a RCA-Input. The only other explanation is that the switcher is also an Amplifier that can accept a source and send that signal to the speakers.