Answered

TruePlay - Cheapest option to get compatible controller?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd like to try out the TruePlay settings for my Play systems but I don't have any Apple gear to do it with. Worse I know nothing about Apple products.

I found the list of compatible Apple hardware here but I don't know what else would be needed to get it working.

If I bought something on the hardware list, cheap off ebay, what would I need to add to that device to be able to use the Sonos app and TruePlay?

Is there anywhere cheaper than ebay to pick up a compatible device?
icon

Best answer by ratty 21 May 2017, 09:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

The cheapest option is a friend with an iPhone
In answer to the direct question, you'd need to download the Sonos app on that device and connect it to your system. All controls, including Trueplay, are from within the app.

That being said, John B has the true answer. You only need to run Trueplay once, or when you move the location of the speaker. Even off of eBay, it's hard to believe you'd be able to get a device cheap enough for this single purpose. Much better to invite a friend over for the 5 minute process.
Note also that any subsequent toggling on/off Trueplay - to go back to original sound - can be done from non Apple devices. Retuning for any reason like a change of speaker location will again need Apple of course.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There are several "Apple iPod Touch 5th Generation" devices on ebay under Buy it now in the $100-125 range today, not unreasonable for my needs if they would just work without me having to sign up for a calling or data plan of some sort.

The other option I haven't looked at is asking if any friends have a compatible device sitting unused, again I hesitate to do that until I understand what would be involved in getting the app loaded onto the device.

As to asking one of the kids to borrow their Apple whatevers and install an app on it, that isn't something I'd want to do. It might be a good option for my Play 5s but I tend to move my Play 3s around enough it wouldn't work there.

So I'm back to needing to know, if I have a factory reset / wiped Apple dingus in hand what is going to be needed to get it to the point I can download the Sonos app?
All it would take is connecting via WiFi to your router; Sim card not needed. Or so it is for Android devices, I doubt that it would be different for Apple.
In my experience the iPod Touch 5th gen is under-powered, with a not very good microphone. Stretch the budget and get a 6th Gen. Much faster, with a better mike. It will also be more able to keep up with iOS updates.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thanks everyone, I'll put a few of these on my watch list and see if I can get one cheap. Hopefully someone will be selling one with a scratched screen or dinged case cheap.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sorry. But unless you really don't have the option to borrow a device for 30 minutes - Offer tea and cakes, then the idea of spending $100 or more for something that may be over in a few minutes and may never need to be repeated is just somewhat over the top.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Old topic but I'll add this link for folks thinking of older Apple devices, it is old stuff with limited/no support.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

Sonos supported device FAQ

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3222?language=en_US
Sonos needs to sell a microphone option that you add to your non apple device that will allow you to TruePlay your system. We have been asking for it for years, but it seems that it's not a priority. Another option would be the ability to use the receiver set-up microphones that come with many home theater receivers.