Answered

Trade Up - ZP100: What are the new features?

• 7 November 2019
  • 4 replies

I’m wondering if there is a list of features that I’m missing out on for new products vs the ZP100. Does anyone have a summary?

I don’t really stream or use voice activation. Just play my music from a NAS.

I do have to say that I’ve been SUPER impressed with the ongoing updates to the ZP100 in all the years I’ve owned them. In fact, it is the biggest rave that I tell everyone why they should get Sonos over other systems. So super KUDOS to Sonos for that. So yeah, I’m fine with upgrading. I’d like to continue to support Sonos as a business.

icon

Best answer by jgatie 7 November 2019, 19:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The modern equivalent of the ZP100 is the Amp.

It has better WiFi, a stronger Amp (125W vs 50W), HDMI ARC connection to use with a TV.

In general, this generation of Sonos products have 3rd generation WiFi, easier setup, and are Airplay 2 compatible.  Also, if all you have are ZP100’s, the indexing of the local library has to be taking a long time, because it must perform a full index due to memory limits.  Adding a new Sonos device will make it update only the changed tracks again. 

But I think the main issue is the ZP100 design is going on 15 years old.  Eventually, it will not be able to keep up with new features and will have to be retired.  The upgrade offer will allow you to gradually replace each ZP100 with a new unit without having to do it all at once when the inevitable happens down the road.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Great answer @jgatie. One thing to add is that the ZP100 does have Analog RCA outputs in addition to the speaker terminals. The Sonos Amp doesn’t have those same RCA outputs, so if that’s something you’re using, you may want to check to make sure that the Amp is the right device to use. 

It’s been so long since I’ve used a ZP100, I forgot all about the analog outs. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi.  Is there any work around for the lack of analog out?  This is one reason I haven’t updated to date since it will take me an AMP and a Port to replace one ZP 100 that drives outdoor and family speakers as well as the family room receiver/speakers via the analog out.