Thoughts on pricing of Sonos One?

• 6 January 2020
  • 9 replies

Badge

Hey, I just purchased a beam and first time getting into the Sonos ecosystem. I am looking to grab 2 sonos one’s or two play 1’s. There is someone selling two sonos one like brand new condition for $250 or $140 for one. What do you all think about the price. Good deal? Should i go for it?

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I think the Play:1 is now a discontinued product; for rear surrounds duty I’d suggest the One SL since the microphone on the One would be disabled anyway.

That’s hard to answer without knowing the person who’s doing the selling (where did he get these from?) and the condition of the units themselves.

Are you planning on using these speakers as surrounds with the Beam or for a separate room(s).  If with the Beam, then you won’t be able to use the voice assistant features of the Ones.    Play:1s would be just as good sound wise for that use case, although it is an older model.  The Sonos One SL (no mic) is it’s replacement and goes for $358 for a pair brand new. This would have an upgraded hardware.

Badge

If the play 1 are being phased out and may not get any more updates going forward. Best choice would be the sonos one or the one sl. I already have mini google assistants around the house. I really would have the mic off on the speakers if i do decide to have them elsewhere in the house. But most likely they will be used with the beam.

I just don’t want to spend 358 on a brand new pair you know. He owns the speakers, i would pick them up and could always test them. He changed to a bose system 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Whilst the Play:1 is discontinued, I would expect it to be supported for many years to come; very little of Sonos’ entire historical product range is obsolete - most is still supported.

All of the speakers Sonos has ever created continue to get updates to this day.  The play:1 is unlikely to stop getting updates any time soon.  

There are really only 2 advantages of using SLs over 1s with a Beam like this.

• The SLs will match the Beam better aesthetically.  Probably a minor point.
  • The SL has better hardware, meaning that it’s less likely to have any wireless issues.  Not that it’s likely with the 1s either (I have them myself and never had any issues.

Of course, if you don’t use them with the Beam, then you can add airplay as an extra feature, which may not matter to you, and the better hardware means you’re more likely to get added features in the future.

Badge

I think the sl would be the better choice then. Best buy has them for 143 refurbished. comes out to 287 for two

If you’re buying refurb/open box from Best Buy, which I have done repeatedly, it’s a great idea to factory reset the devices before trying to deploy them. 

Badge

If you’re buying refurb/open box from Best Buy, which I have done repeatedly, it’s a great idea to factory reset the devices before trying to deploy them. 

Have you gotten the geek squad extended warranty also with them or did opt not to get them?

Never opted.