Question

Symfonisk Bookshelf Speaker vs Google Home Speaker

• 23 September 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8
I know this may seem like a strange comparison but I'm wondering if the IKEA bookshelf speaker is right for me.
Currently I have a 5.1 system consisting of a Beam Sonos Ones and Sub. Eventually I plan to outfit all .y rooms with Sonos. I currently have the Google home in my bedroom and considering adding the IKEA bookshelf speaker or maybe a pair.

My delima is the reviews on the bookshelf speaker. Many say the bass response is weak and rarely go into detail. How weak? Is worse than a Google Home Speaker which actually has a little thump to it but I'm willing to bet the IKEA is better. I'm not expecting room shaking bass or anything like that, just something better if even by a little than the Google Home.

Anyone have an idea or experience with both of these speakers.

Or Am I better off just getting another Sonos One.

Your input (or anyone's) would be greatly appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Ravica3

Your question is very subjective as everyone will have their on opinion regarding the acoustics of Symfonisk Bookshelf speaker. Given that IKEA has a 365 day return policy why not buy the speaker and make your own determination with a A/B comparison in home. *

* I didn't find anything on the IKEA website that said speakers were exempt from the 365 day return policy or came under a different (shorter) timeline.

Cheers!
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
WOW!
I did not know IKEA had warranties like that. Sounds like a plan
One option to consider is getting a pair of the bookshelf speakers and using them as surrounds with your Beam/Sub. The lack of bass becomes much less important in that setup. You can then use your Sonos Ones in the bedroom. Maybe this won't work if the bookshelf won't work aesthetically with your setup.

A second idea would be to get a new Sonos One SL and pair that with of your current Sonos Ones in the 5.1 setup. That will free up one of your Sonos Ones for the bedroom, cheaper than a pair of bookshelf speakers ( and many say a single Sonos One sounds better than a pair of bookshelves)

FYI, I have gone to an ikea store to give the bookshelf speakers a listen. It is a little weak on the bass I think. It's fine if you're not used to better audio, but you're going to notice it in comparison to your existing setup.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
One option to consider is getting a pair of the bookshelf speakers and using them as surrounds with your Beam/Sub. The lack of bass becomes much less important in that setup. You can then use your Sonos Ones in the bedroom. Maybe this won't work if the bookshelf won't work aesthetically with your setup.

An excellent idea. I was also considering this as well. And very likely may end up doing this which would allow me to put each of the Sonos Ones in a different rooms expanding my system faster.

A second idea would be to get a new Sonos One SL and pair that with of your current Sonos Ones in the 5.1 setup. That will free up one of your Sonos Ones for the bedroom, cheaper than a pair of bookshelf speakers ( and many say a single Sonos One sounds better than a pair of bookshelves)

i do not foresee myself ever purchasing the One SL at it's current price point. At a $20 price difference, I'd just go for the ones with the microphone to keep the versatility. Take my current situation for example. Having the Ones I feel keep my options open. I like the voice control. Move my ones and use bookshelf speakers for the 5.1. (Actually this is sounding more appealing to me now.)

I'm headed over to IKEA today or tomorrow to hear for myself.

There also the chance I'll stay with my original plan of just placing the Sonos One in all rooms. Was considering a cheaper route but in the end "You get what you pay for."