Switching to Sonos

• 17 January 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi,

My father is a die-hard fan of the Logitech Squeezebox duet, which, unfortunately, we haven't been able to find a replacement for - the fact that you have several physical controllers that you can use in different rooms isn't something i have seen in other systems (here, first floor, ground floor, basement) - and carrying around around the mobile to control via app is not an option (he is older, but frankly I wouldn't myself want to carry around my mobile each and every time I want to switch music). Main use case is online radio.

In brief, I just wanted to ask what components I need if I want the following set up:

- input (here, Logitech Squeezebox, but could be anything really) via optical or cinch, which connects into the Sonos device (how is that signal then transmitted further to the other speakers? Do I need some form of amp to 'transmit' the signal?)
- ability to use headphones (I understand you would need to have a bluetooth transmitter connected to the 'aux output' of the Sonos device? If so, does the Sonos device continue to work independently of that something is connected to it's aux output? If not, I could consider connecting the BT transmitter directly to the Logitech Squeezebox - also, if I use just the headphones, can I switch off the other speakers by physically pressing a button on them?)

Graphically, would look like this:

(input device) -> output from it via optical or cinch -> connects to the Sonos device

Sonos device itself is connected via LAN

other Sonos devices either connected via LAN or Wifi.

one of these should have ability to connect with some headphones

Grateful for input.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi IIama_thumper

Glad you are considering Sonos. I'll try to answer your questions as best as I understand them. My answers are in Green and Orange below your questions in Bold. Please post again to clarify if necessary or just to share your thoughts:8 Cheers!

Note: Initial setup of Sonos will require use of the Sonos app via an iOS or Android device

(input device) -> output from it via optical or cinch -> connects to the Sonos device
If the main use is online radio No input device is needed. Click the link for info on available services: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/streaming-music

Any Sonos device can be connected to a LAN port on your router. That setup is called “Wired” which alos creates the SonosMesh for a stronger signal to other Sonos devices that eliminates a lot of the interference found in the “Wireless” or Wi-Fi setup

You can connect all Sonos devices to LAN but only one is needed in most cases. Wi-Fi or Wiresless setup is possible to as an alternative if that is desired. See Sonos setup options here: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/setting-up-sonos

There are two Sonos that can accommodate headphones via BT Transmitter they are:
Sonos Connect
Sonos Play 5

Selecting music service without Sonos App
The Sonos One and Beam have Alexa voice assistant that will allow you to request a streaming service without using the Sonos App. For example you might say, “Alexa, play Sirius XM Watercolors on bedroom”. If other speakers are previously “Grouped” to bedroom they will play the same audio. Speakers can be Grouped by pressing the play/pause on any Sonos. Ungrouping would require the Sonos App.

Sonos can also integrate with an Alexa device and a Sonos speaker can be designated as the Main not requiring the room name to be specified. For example the command would be, Alexa play Sirius XM Watercolors.
Thank you for your response. Please see my follow-up queries/responses below.

If the main use is online radio No input device is needed. Click the link for info on available services: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/streaming-music
THANK YOU - BUT, AS MENTIONED, THE LOGITECH SQUEEZEBOX IS A MUST (AT LEAST FOR NOW) - THEREFORE, I NEED SOMEWHERE TO FEED IN THE AUDIO SIGNAL FROM THERE. WHAT SONOS DEVICE CAN I USE?

Any Sonos device can be connected to a LAN port on your router. That setup is called “Wired” which alos creates the SonosMesh for a stronger signal to other Sonos devices that eliminates a lot of the interference found in the “Wireless” or Wi-Fi setup
OK, GREAT

You can connect all Sonos devices to LAN but only one is needed in most cases. Wi-Fi or Wiresless setup is possible to as an alternative if that is desired. See Sonos setup options here: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/setting-up-sonos
OK GREAT

There are two Sonos that can accommodate headphones via BT Transmitter they are:
Sonos Connect
Sonos Play 5
THANKS, SONOS CONNECT LOOKS CHEAPER....

WHAT ABOUT MY OTHER QUERIES, DO YOU HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON THOSE?:
- input (here, Logitech Squeezebox, but could be anything really) via optical or cinch, which connects into the Sonos device (how is that signal then transmitted further to the other speakers? Do I need some form of amp to 'transmit' the signal?)
- ability to use headphones (I understand you would need to have a bluetooth transmitter connected to the 'aux output' of the Sonos device? If so, does the Sonos device continue to work independently of that something is connected to it's aux output? If not, I could consider connecting the BT transmitter directly to the Logitech Squeezebox - also, if I use just the headphones, can I switch off the other speakers by physically pressing a button on them?)
Userlevel 7
[quote=llama_thumper]Thank you for your response. Please see my follow-up queries/responses below.

My answers are once again in Orange below your question.

THANK YOU - BUT, AS MENTIONED, THE LOGITECH SQUEEZEBOX IS A MUST (AT LEAST FOR NOW) - THEREFORE, I NEED SOMEWHERE TO FEED IN THE AUDIO SIGNAL FROM THERE. WHAT SONOS DEVICE CAN I USE?
You can use a Sonos Connect via RCA-In from RCA-Out of Squeezebox

[b]WHAT ABOUT MY OTHER QUERIES, DO YOU HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON THOSE?:
If the Connect is the "hub" to the Squeezebox you can Group other Sonos to it to send the same audio to them. You can also send Squeezebox audio to just one Sonos speaker and have other Sonos play something else. The possibilities are many.

- ability to use headphones (I understand you would need to have a bluetooth transmitter connected to the 'aux output' of the Sonos device? If so, does the Sonos device continue to work independently of that something is connected to it's aux output?
For headphone use you could connect the BT Transmitter to the Sonos Connect RCA-Out for private listening. The other Sonos speakers are available for different audio as long as they are not Grouped to the Connect.

If not, I could consider connecting the BT transmitter directly to the Logitech Squeezebox - also, if I use just the headphones, can I switch off the other speakers by physically pressing a button on them?)[/quote]
As I said all Sonos speakers named as different rooms/zones are independent. As long as they are not Grouped to a Sonos speaker that is broadcasting audio they will remain silent. There is no off switch as Sonos speakers are always on. They merely go into standby when not in use.

Note.
To be clear. Although the Beam has Alexa voice assistant it is primarily meant to be used as a TV speaker first and music secondary. The Sonos One is the better choice for operation via voice command as an alternative to using the Sonos app in your situation.