suggestion for sonos solution 5.1 with sony A8F TV and wired ceiling speakers

• 8 June 2019
  • 1 reply

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies
In my lounge room I have a sonos amp driving 2 floor speakers for music
Very happy.

I am looking for a Sonos solution for my TV room where I have
Sony Bravia A8F TV ( good behind screen speakers)
2 wired in ceiling speakers
I do have an old denon 7.1 amplifier available but would prefer a sonos/wifi solution where I do not have to get up and turn amplifiers on and change volume etc.

Preferred solution ONE will:
Be sonos controlled for music and 5.1 for TV
Use my sony TV as front speakers
Use ceiling as surround speakers
Be able to ad sub woofer

Possible solution TWO will:
Be sonos controlled for music and 5.1 for TV
Use ceiling as surround speakers and for music
Be able to ad sub woofer

Least preferred solution THREE will:
Be sonos controlled for music through ceiling speakers
Use Denon amp for 5.1 with wired ceiling speakers
Be able to ad sub woofer

Additional desire
Audio source selected on Sony Bravia ( Android Tv) can be shared across the multi-room sonos network

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi moc

Unfortunately there is no Sonos solution nor Denon solution that will allow you to continue using the Sony's built-in speakers and incorporate the in-ceiling speakers as surrounds. Both the Sonos and the Denon need the full audio spectrum to decode and send to the appropriate speakers LF/C/RF, sub and surrounds.

To go wireless
  1. Sonos Amp connected to Sony via HDMI-ARC or Optical using 3rd party speakers up front with Sonos or 3rd party sub. Second Sonos amp or Connect Amp to drive the in-ceiling speakers as surrounds *
  2. Sonos PlayBar, PlayBase or Beam with Sonos sub and Sonos Amp to drive in-ceiling speakers as surrounds
  3. Sonos PlayBar, PlayBase or Beam with Sonos sub and Sonos Play:1's or Sonos One's as surrounds. Sonos Amp or Connect Amp to drive in-ceiling speakers for music only.

Cheers!

* Using 3rd party speakers may provide an improved phantom Center versus the Sony's built-in speakers. Connect:Amp as a discontinued model may not be available on-line or elsewhere therefore The Sonos Amp may be the only choice.