Sub Mini Launch Imminent

• 12 September 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

With Sonos alluding to it on Twitter the past two days I assume it will be launched this week. My big question I hope they answer-2 Minis or One Sub for an Arc surround setup?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I think it’s  extremely unlikely, but is possible that Sonos tech has improved enough that the mini sound almost as good or better than the full size sub. 

The way the full size sub sounds now, it’s very likely that the mini will sound better than the full size LOL.

If these rumours are true, and let me just add I’m still not sure about the actual size/dimensions of the proposed sub mini from the images/links/info. posted in the community here or elsewhere online, but I would assume it’s focus might (perhaps) be aimed towards smaller rooms, where one might use a Beam or Ray for TV audio, or possibly a stereo pair of Ones/SL’s for Music audio etc. leaving the original/main Sonos Sub for use with the Arc, Amp and/or a stereo pair of Fives in our larger rooms.

That is likely the case, agreed. 

So if I intended to add a Sub (or two) to a fair size room that already had the Sonos Arc, then personally speaking, I would probably go with the existing Sub (gen3).. I’m thinking I can always then add another Sub if thats not enough for the larger room and I can’t ever recall complaining that I have too much Bass anyway ha ha 😀 (just joking).

If the mini Sub costs $500, and regular sub costs $750,  I think I might opt for two mini subs if I don’t feel the single sub is enough.  That would save me $500, as a hypothetical.

Its a difficult call until we can get to hear these things, but my own thoughts are, I would genuinely like a smaller Sub in both the Kitchen/Breakfast Bar area (with Ray and Ones) and our Main Bedroom (with Beam and Ones). So that’s what I will be considering if, or when, it is released.

I haven’t yet purchased the Sonos Ray for the Kitchen anyway, but that’s another story.

Yes, I have a gameroom/study that will likely be the home for a mini.  But I could see myself moving a full sub from the main room to gameroom, and putting 2 minis in the main room….if I like the sound.

Answer, likely yes. Which way it will go, who knows. 

With Sonos alluding to it on Twitter the past two days I assume it will be launched this week. My big question I hope they answer-2 Minis or One Sub for an Arc surround setup?

My guess is that 2 Minis will be better than a single Sub in most cases.  However, 2 Minis will probably cost more than a single sub….and a single sub will be very good for a lot of cases. 

I am thinking that in terms of sub ‘strength’, the Sonos  lineup will go 1 mini → 1 sub → 2 mini → 2 sub.

I think it’s  extremely unlikely, but is possible that Sonos tech has improved enough that the mini sound almost as good or better than the full size sub.  That could be both good and bad.  Good, because better is better.  Bad, because it could very well mean the Mini is in the $700+ range in terms of price...which is not what the market is asking for.  Then again, maybe it’s much cheaper and the Sub Gen 3 is basically obsolete.

Also, I’m hoping that there is some new feature in the mini, other than just a bass speaker, bug again.  Highly unlikely.  Sonos isn’t looking to break ground here, they are filling in a gap in the market, pretty much what the Ray is doing for soundbars.

If these rumours are true, and let me just add I’m still not sure about the actual size/dimensions of the proposed sub mini from the images/links/info. posted in the community here or elsewhere online, but I would assume it’s focus might (perhaps) be aimed towards smaller rooms, where one might use a Beam or Ray for TV audio, or possibly a stereo pair of Ones/SL’s for Music audio etc. leaving the original/main Sonos Sub for use with the Arc, Amp and/or a stereo pair of Fives in our larger rooms.

So if I intended to add a Sub (or two) to a fair size room that already had the Sonos Arc, then personally speaking, I would probably go with the existing Sub (gen3).. I’m thinking I can always then add another Sub if thats not enough for the larger room and I can’t ever recall complaining that I have too much Bass anyway ha ha 😀 (just joking).

Its a difficult call until we can get to hear these things, but my own thoughts are, I would genuinely like a smaller Sub in both the Kitchen/Breakfast Bar area (with Ray and Ones) and our Main Bedroom (with Beam and Ones). So that’s what I will be considering if, or when, it is released.

I haven’t yet purchased the Sonos Ray for the Kitchen anyway, but that’s another story.

Userlevel 7

Confirmed in the Sub Mini FAQ that duel Sub Minis is not possible. 

Confirmed in the Sub Mini FAQ that duel Sub Minis is not possible. 

Yep.  I got that wrong.  Got the price wrong too.