Question

Sonos With Existing Ceiling Speakers

• 5 January 2020
  • 5 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

Hey guys,

My home has an existing Elan home automation system that’s only been used for audio for the past few years, but recently stopped working. Was looking to change the system over to a Sonos system and was looking for the best way to go about this. Have around 5 zones in the home with anywhere between 1 pair of in ceiling speakers to 4 pairs of ceiling speakers. They currently run on Elan Z generation amps. What Sonos products would I need to tackle this?

5 replies

I think you should be looking at the Sonos Amp, and probably 5 of them, although I’d want to double check the ability of a single Amp to run 4 speakers. It’s likely, but not a guaranty. I don’t think a single Sonos Amp can deal with four pairs of speakers, though, I’m kind of amazed that any previous Amp could power eight speakers as a single “zone”. Obviously not familiar with this Elan System. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

What has stopped working in the Elan system?  Before committing to adding any Sonos devices like the Amp, troubleshooting what’s exactly malfunctioning would be wise - would hate to spend money on Amps only to find the speakers are what’s gone out.

(no offense intended if you’ve already accomplished this step!)

What has stopped working in the Elan system?  Before committing to adding any Sonos devices like the Amp, troubleshooting what’s exactly malfunctioning would be wise - would hate to spend money on Amps only to find the speakers are what’s gone out.

(no offense intended if you’ve already accomplished this step!)

I had an Elan dealer come out and while the Amps are still functional the multi-room controller is not. I’m not sure if he was being less than truthful, but he said that the Elan amps would not function without an Elan Multi-Room controller

I think you should be looking at the Sonos Amp, and probably 5 of them, although I’d want to double check the ability of a single Amp to run 4 speakers. It’s likely, but not a guaranty. I don’t think a single Sonos Amp can deal with four pairs of speakers, though, I’m kind of amazed that any previous Amp could power eight speakers as a single “zone”. Obviously not familiar with this Elan System. 

I’ll try to access some of the wiring and confirm how many speakers are being powered by a single amp

I visited a friend over the Thanksgiving holiday, who was in a similar situation, although the previous homeowner had originally set up a combination of Sonos and some other (perhaps A/V receiver?) system. My task was to update the Sonos devices, which had never been connected to the internet since they were set up, and figure out how to add a couple of Amps to run the extra ceiling speakers in various rooms. And of course, figure out what wires were that were coming out of the wall. And there were a lot of them, some labeled, some not. Not a ton of fun, that part, and while I found the wires that went to the ceiling speakers, and connected them to the old Sonos CONNECT:AMP and the new Sonos Amps, there were still wires that I have no idea where they go to. I suspect at some point, he an I will have to remove the drywall, trace these wires, and figure out what purpose they serve. But he’s got music, and his PLAYBAR and surrounds are working for the new TV we got, so he’s happy.

You’ve got a task ahead of you. Go slow, label things when you can, and have patience. Often previous installers don’t think that someone will ever go behind them and want to change things.  Which I understand. It’s just a pain being the second ‘installer’.