Question

Sonos Sub(s) or Pair of Fives?

• 10 July 2020
  • 1 reply

I’m a couple months into Sonos and loving it. I have units in four rooms, two upstairs and two downstairs.

For everyday listening, my system is incredible, but occasionally I want to rock out, and it’s coming up a bit short.

The area I sometimes need to rock out is in the downstairs of my home, which is 1500–2000 square feet of open floor plan.

The back half, my living room/kitchen area, is completely open, and it’s separated from the front half by walls, with a wide opening. Here I’ve got an Arc and two One units configured as surround (music playback for the surround speakers is set to “Full”). 

The front half is separated by a staircase, and a partial wall, but is otherwise open. In this area, I have two stereo-paired One units. 

If I crank up both areas of the downstairs to about 60%, it sounds great, but I’m clearly pushing the limits, and if I go higher it really feels like I’m straining the system, yet it’s still lacking oomph. 

I’m thinking I should either replace a pair of the One units (not sure which, maybe the surrounds) with stereo-paired Five units or I should add a Sub, probably to the Arc/One set and possibly also to the standalone pair of One units. 

I’d really appreciate any thoughts on this. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Since it sounds like you are straining the system and lacking Oomph i’d suggest you get the sub, u Will get more Oomph than u need and it Will free up your ones so they can focus on mids and highs, 

i have 2 fives and Sub and its awsome but If i were u, i would not switch out the ones for fives, my opinion get the Sub