Sonos Sub or Velodyne Sub?

• 10 April 2018
  • 4 replies

I currently have a Velodyne 12 inch sub SPL1200 II that I was thinking of using instead of a Sonos Sub. I would like to set up 2 more bookshelf speakers in my living room and was debating spending 1k on a Sonos Sub and play 1s or just re using my velodyne sub and Boston acoustic micro 90x by purchasing a connect amp at $500. The Velodyne brand new was about $2100 so I would like to use this. Any downside to adding these components to my existing Sonos environment or should I spend more $ and go with Sonos Sub and play 1s?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Sonos sub is good and great match with the Play:1s. but if you have the sub and speakers .... hard to beat going with the $500 connect:amp option. Connect:Amp is plug and play and you don't have to worry with turning anything off or anything - so you will get exact same experience as with the sub and play:1s (actually a tad better in that you will also get an input in case of any future need).
Userlevel 7
Hi zzzzzxx

Using a Connect: AMP with your Boston acoustic micro 90x and Velodyne 12 inch sub SPL1200 II is probably the most economical route. According to your profile you only have a Playbar at present. Sending music to the Playbar and Connect: Amp should be fine. However, with TV audio you may experience a slight delay to the Connect: Amp. I hope this helps.

Cheers!

using my velodyne sub and Boston acoustic micro 90x by purchasing a connect amp at $500. The Velodyne brand new was about $2100 so I would like to use this. Any downside to adding these components to my existing Sonos environment or should I spend more $ and go with Sonos Sub and play 1s?
It depends!
Downside is that the Connect Amp will pass all above 80hz to the main speakers, that may not go low enough to handle those well.
On the other hand, there is the thing about preferences; if you like the sound signature from the existing kit, Connect Amp is the way to go.
Ideally, try a 1 pair + Sonos Sub at home to decide the choice with any good enough amp driving the existing kit, and keep/return the Sonos set up on that basis. For a neater set minus cable clutter, Sonos wins, as you will see, but that should just be icing on the cake.
I would got the route of a Connect Amp. Velodyne subs are great (I do own one...) It also will perform better than the Sonos sub I'm sure.