Sonos Setup for TV and multi room

• 19 September 2018
  • 3 replies

Hello!

I'm very new to this, and looking for a simple setup that "just works" for TV sound and music in the entire apartment.

The apartment:
TV in the living room, kitchen and an extra room. I would like sound from the TV in the living room and be able to play music in all the rooms.

The equipment:
I'm thinking a Beam and a Sub connected to the TV and a One in the kitchen and the extra room.

My goal is minimal clicking in apps and music just playing and sounding great. I use Spotify for streaming and would love to just use the Spotify connect feature from the Spotify app. I have no need for surround sound or so.

The scenarios that confuses me:
1. What will happen if i just turn on the TV and start playing a Netflix movie? Will the Beam and Sub start and play sound from the TV, or do I have to go into an app or something?

2. When not watching TV and I want to start some music, how would I go about that? Which app would i use? Would i need to group or ungroup stuff to play music in the entire apartment?

3. If I have been playing music in the entire apartment and then start the TV, what will happen to the TV sound? Will it go everywhere or just from the Beam + Sub.

I hope that I'm getting the message across, the guy at my local HiFi store made me kinda confused 😕

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hey, Hillbom. I'm going to keep this really simple and answer your questions in your applied formatting. Your message came through just fine, seems you made sense of what the bloke was saying - no matter how confusing.

Hello!

The scenarios that confuses me:
1. What will happen if i just turn on the TV and start playing a Netflix movie? Will the Beam and Sub start and play sound from the TV, or do I have to go into an app or something?

2. When not watching TV and I want to start some music, how would I go about that? Which app would i use? Would i need to group or ungroup stuff to play music in the entire apartment?

3. If I have been playing music in the entire apartment and then start the TV, what will happen to the TV sound? Will it go everywhere or just from the Beam + Sub.

1. The Beam and SUB will play automatically when the Beam detects a television signal.
2. In the Sonos application, or Spotify application, you can simply select the speakers you want to play on. If you include the TV setup in this, the music will override the television audio. Otherwise, it will not.
3. If you have been listening to music, then stop the music, then switch on the TV, it will come through the TV setup. Unless you start watching TV, then group all the other speakers in the Sonos app, you will never get the TV audio coming through everything.
Wow, I said TV a lot.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any followup questions.
Alright. Cool!

Then it sounds like there wont be so much of a hassle as I imagined. From the HiFi guy it sounded like I would have to click about in the app a lot.

Time to place an order then 🙂 Or would you suggest I make some change in the setup?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sorry hillbom, missed this entirely. I wouldn't change anything myself - this will do exactly what you would like it to. There will be some clicking around in the app, though not as much as he may have made it sound. Let us know if you need anything else.